Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

SDK HW can support the maximum resolution

hui0305
Beginner
Hi

I use the system specifications

CPU : i7-2600k
Mem: DDR3 8G 1333Hz
System: win7 64bit

Using SDK 2.0 Hardware, resolution is Full HD

How many FPS ofencoder performance?

How manyFPS of decoder performance?

Can affect encoder and decoder performance may be memory bandwidth?

How many is SDK hardware to support the maximum resolution?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
paco2011
Beginner
Does hardware h264 decoder support 1600*1200 ?
0 Kudos
IDZ_A_Intel
Employee
Hi,
let me try to answer both questions.

The max resolution for HW Media SDK processing is 1920x1200.

Regarding encoder and decoder HW performance on current generation of Intel platforms (code name Sandy Bridge) with Intel processor graphics and QuickSync Video (QSV).

First of all let me say that there is no specific upper limit to the number of simultaneous encode or decode sessions utilizing the HW.

With regards to the question on FPS performance. The performance of the codecs will vary greatly depending on what resoluton, quality, bitrate etc. is selected.But I can give you a performance snapshot gathered on a platform with similar configuration as yours. Hopefully it will give you an indication
of the raw performance of Intel QSV technology.

Note that the following data does not take into account file system bottlebecks, rendering to display or video processing (VPP). No guarantees achieving the same performance in an application utilizing Media SDK as performance will depend on overall application architecture.

And yes, memory bandwith may be a bottleneck when processing large amouts of streams simultaneously, especially if also requiring copy between system memory and D3D surfaces.

Configuration: H.264 codec, 1920x1080, 30fps, 4 Mpbs, 60 second length, MSDK balance quality setting, D3D memory surfaces

Decode performance:(with above config)
- Assuming the user targets decoding at 30 fps the HW can support decode of ~15 simultaneous 1080p streams
- If just decoding one stream the real time decode performance is ~450fps

Encode performance:(with above config)
- Assuming the user targets encoding at 30 fps the HW can support encode of ~5 simultaneous 1080p streams
- If just encoding one stream the real time encode performance is ~170fps

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos
paco2011
Beginner
Is the max resolution for HW Media SDK processing1920x1200 ?

I use the Media SDK to decode 1600x1200.The CPU usage is 10%.

I think the max resolution should be1600x1088.
0 Kudos
IDZ_A_Intel
Employee
Hi,

I decided to verify this myself. Below are the actual limits for HW processing. I will also check if this is the true limits internally.

Encode:
1920x1152 (for max width resolution)
1856x1200 (for max height resolution)

Decode: (Media SDK falls back on SW internally if demands cannot be met by HW)
1920x1088

Not sure why your CPU utilization is 10%, if you use HW processing with D3D surfaces and eliminate bottlenecks such as rendering and file access then your CPU utilization should be negligible.

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos
applemax82
Beginner
Hi,

There is another question about the performance of media sdk.

Each session contains one h.264 encoder or one h.264 decoder, and each session works independently. What's the performance, when one encoder session and one decoder session work simultaneously for 1080p@30?

Thanks!

Best Regards

Qiang
0 Kudos
Nina_K_Intel
Employee
Hi Qiang,

I'm sorry, we don't have any benchmarking data to share right away. If you have access to a Sandy Bridge system I would suggest to measure this on your application which implements the mentioned model. If you don't have such possibility I can measure on one of our test systems, but please explain a bit more about your usage model - so it's 2 sessions, encoding and decoding, but what do you mean by independent - separate processes, separate threads or just not joined session? Is one session using the output from another or not?

Thanks,
Nina
0 Kudos
applemax82
Beginner
Hi Nina,

Thanks for your reply.

In my usage model, there are two sessions, i.e. oneencoding session and onedecoding session. Each session has its own thread.There is no communication between encoding and decoding, thus encoding session and decoding session can work independently, andencoding and decoding sessions are not joined.

In my simple application, one encoding sessioncompresses 1080p@30 video sequence into h.264 bitstreamof 4M bps, while one decoding session decompresses h.264 bitstream of 1080p@30.

After 3-5 minutes, encoding or decoding becomes slower. Is there some interference between encoding and decoding session? Thanks!

Looking forward to your reply!

BR
Qiang
0 Kudos
Nina_K_Intel
Employee
Hi Qiang,

Could you please also clarify, are you running your application with a software MSDK library or with a hardware one? And what are the characteristics of your system?

There is no interference between sessions on MSDK level, if they are not joined. This could be the effect of concurrent access to system resources (btw, are you writing the decoded stream to disk?). Or in case of HW library - concurrent access to the HW resources. Though with only 2 sessions this should work just fine. How bad is the slow down you observe?

Nina
0 Kudos
applemax82
Beginner
Hi Nina,

My application works with hareware MSDK library, and the system is win7 64bit.

In my application, decoded frames in d3d surface are just rendered by DXVA. At the beginning, both encoding and decoding can reach the frame rate of 30. However, after 3-5 minutes, either encoding or decodings become slower. It takes double time to encode or decode each frame. Then my application can't meet real-time requirement.

BR

Qiang
0 Kudos
Nina_K_Intel
Employee
Hi Qiang,

Sorry, I though I posted this question yesterday, but probably didn't press the button. I wanted to ask you to share with me the graphics driver version you have on your Sandy Bridge system, I would need it to reproduce the experiment.
Thanks,
Nina
0 Kudos
applemax82
Beginner
Hi Nina,

The version is 8.15.10.2210 for Intel Processor Graphics 3000.

Thanks!

BR

Qiang
0 Kudos
Nina_K_Intel
Employee
Hi Qiang,
Thanks for the details. I will investigate the issue. Meanwhile I would suggest you to update the graphics driver as it looks rather old to me. Please visit this resource.
Nina
0 Kudos
applemax82
Beginner
Hi Nina,

I have some problem on installing graphics driver(Win7Vista_15221.zip) which is downloaded from your provided link.

Setup program says 'This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing thesoftware'.

I also download 'Win7Vista_64_15221.exe'from 'http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics'. Setup program reports error.

I don't know why

BR

Qiang

0 Kudos
Nina_K_Intel
Employee
Hi Qiang,

Seems that you have a 64 bit system and I gave a link to the 32bit version, sorry for that mistake. But you chose the correct way to use Intel automatic update service. I hardly have any idea why this doesn't work. A few things I could suggest to try are to run the setup.exe with administrative rights and to uninstall the previous version of gfx driver. You may also try a previous version of the driver

Hope something of the above works for you. If you still see the issue you should contact the driver support team.

Nina
0 Kudos
Sharma__Chintan
Beginner

I have i7-3770 ivybridge cpu.

I m not able to decode properly more then 10 FullHd streams. in my case i m using system memory with hardware decoder.

0 Kudos