Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Screen Capture Fails on Intel i7 6th gen CPU/GPU

Ramashankar
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am using Intel screen capture plugin from [Intel(R)_Media_SDK_2016.0.1] and sample code from [Intel Media SDK Samples 2016 6.0.0.142]. I am facing a strange issue on 6th gen laptop that if I configure capture plugin to output in RGB32 format then it works well, but if I set to output in NV12 then m_mfxSession.SyncOperation() is always failing with MFX_ERR_DEVICE_FAILED error.

This issue is observed on few laptops and all those were having 6th gen CPU and Windows7 64 bit OS. One of that environment is as following:

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Professional 64-bit  Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz (Skylake)
GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
DriverVersion: 20.19.15.4331
DriverDate: 11/20/2015

As per windows update, there is no further updates available for this graphics driver.

My screen capture plugin configuration is as following:

Output format :NV12
Input Resolution :1920x1088
Crop X,Y,W,H :0,0,1920,1080
Output Resolution :1920x1080
Frame rate :24.00
Memory type :system
MediaSDK impl :hw
MediaSDK version :1.17

So, can you please help me out to find out the root cause and its fix? Is it any known issue or limitation with 6th gen CPU + Windows7 OS combination?  

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Ramashankar,

Let me try to reproduce it and get back to you as soon as possible.

Please don't hesitate to ping me if you haven't get my feedback in a few days.

Mark

0 Kudos
Ramashankar
New Contributor III

Hi Mark, 

Please don't hesitate to ping me if you haven't get my feedback in a few days.

Thanks for the reply. Sure, I will follow up with you :)

0 Kudos
QIYUAN__FENG
Beginner

hello,Have you solved your problem?

0 Kudos
Ramashankar
New Contributor III

Hi Mark,

Is there any update on this issue?

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Sorry for the late response, I have some problem to find the right equipment, I have a solution now but I need a couple days to reproduce the issue.

I have submitted a bug now for trace and communicate with dev team now, I think this could save some time.

Could you tell me what the full reproducing steps and especially the command line?

Mark

0 Kudos
Ramashankar
New Contributor III

Hi Mark,

I am not using it as command line but as an lib in my actual application. Issue was reported by one of our customer and through my app logs I found the issue with NV12 format. I don't have that hardware environment so I am unable to check it, but based on my configuration, the command line should be like this:

sample_decode capture -p 22d62c07e672408fbb4cc20ed7a053e4 -hw -scr:w 1920 -scr:h 1080 -f 24

0 Kudos