Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Skip Frame in AVC/H.264

Walton__Daniel
Beginner

Does anyone have a working example of skipping frames while encoding AVC/H.264?  The Media SDK manual says that it will work, but I have been unable to get it to skip a frame.

What I want is for the encoder to return a frame where all macroblocks are marked as skipped.  I have configured the setting "SkipFrame = MFX_SKIPFRAME_INSERT_DUMMY" in the mfxExtCodingOption2 structure, and configured "SkipFrame = 1" in the mfxEncodeCtrl structure, but when I encode the frame a normal frame is returned in the bitstream.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JesusE_Intel

Hi Walton__Daniel,

Thanks for reaching out, could you please provide the following information?

• MediaSDK Version
  • Operating System
  • System Details (CPU model, GPU model, etc)

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
Walton__Daniel
Beginner

The Media SDK Version is 2020.  I have tried both in Software version on an i7-5820K (no GPU) with Windows 10 x64 2004 as well as Hardware on a Celeron J1900 with Windows 10 x64 1809.

0 Kudos
Walton__Daniel
Beginner

I discovered some additional information today.  It does not appear that any configuration of mfxExtCodingOption2 is being applied when using the software encoder.  It appears to only work on the hardware encoder.  Is there some additional setup required to enable the advanced settings in the software encoder?

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Daniel,

For the product context, Media SDK is focusing on hardware codec since it is in 90% of our client and edge processors by default. The software codec is only released for Windows for compatible with our old release. It was designed as the backup rescue if the hardware codec is not available temporarily.

You are probably right on this and I will double check with dev team.

Mark

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Daniel,

Did I answer your question? I was trying to explain why mfxExtCodingOption2 did set in software mode, but you seems say skip frame doesn't work for both hardware and software mode.

Mark

0 Kudos