Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

The transcode spent long time

zhou_h_
Beginner

root@ubuntu:~# date;/opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/_bin/x64/sample_multi_transcode_drm -i::h264 xwlb-hd.h264 -o::h264 xwlb-hdnew.h264 -hw -f 25;date
Wed Apr  2 15:08:44 CST 2014
Intel(R) Media SDK Multi Transcoding Sample Version 5.0.1603321.86136

libva info: VA-API version 0.34.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_32
NO VMAP IOCTL
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
Pipeline surfaces number: min=8, max=8, chosen=8
MFX HARDWARE Session 0 API ver 1.8 parameters:
Input  video: AVC
Output video: AVC

Session 0 was NOT joined with other sessions

Transcoding started
............................................................................................................................................................................................................
Transcoding finished

Common transcoding time is  1313.54 sec
MFX session 0 transcoding PASSED:
Processing time: 1313.54 sec
Number of processed frames: 20305

The test PASSED
Wed Apr  2 15:30:38 CST 2014

================================================================================================

The source video file's length is 812 sec.

OS:Linux ubuntu 3.2.0-41-generic #66-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 25 03:27:11 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz

memory:4G

Why are the transcode so slow?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for your report.  This is significantly slower than expected.

Do you see the same speed with other inputs?  What about without -f 25?

Regards, Jeff

0 Kudos
zhou_h_
Beginner

Jeffrey Mcallister (Intel) wrote:

Thanks for your report.  This is significantly slower than expected.

Do you see the same speed with other inputs?  What about without -f 25?

Regards, Jeff

root@ubuntu:~# date;/opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/_bin/x64/sample_multi_transcode_drm -i::h264 xwlb-hd.h264 -o::h264 xwlb-hdnew.h264 -hw;date
Tue Apr  8 18:37:22 CST 2014
Intel(R) Media SDK Multi Transcoding Sample Version 5.0.1603321.86136

libva info: VA-API version 0.34.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_32
NO VMAP IOCTL
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
Pipeline surfaces number: min=8, max=8, chosen=8
MFX HARDWARE Session 0 API ver 1.8 parameters:
Input  video: AVC
Output video: AVC

Session 0 was NOT joined with other sessions

Transcoding started
............................................................................................................................................................................................................
Transcoding finished

Common transcoding time is  1310.56 sec
MFX session 0 transcoding PASSED:
Processing time: 1310.56 sec
Number of processed frames: 20305

The test PASSED
Tue Apr  8 18:59:13 CST 2014

Hi,Jeff, the time is also so long without -f 25.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for your additional experiments.  I am having a hard time reproducing the problem here.  Using the 2014 release of Media SDK for Linux Servers I'm seeing over 180 FPS for IVB using the familiar "Big Buck Bunny" HD resolution input.

Do you also see very slow transcodes with Big Buck Bunny?  (when demuxed to elementary stream only.) 

Did you start with a fresh installation, or are there other media packages installed on your system?  There can be conflicts with other components of the graphics stack too.  Did you remove all other versions of libdrm from your system before installing?

Regards, Jeff

0 Kudos
Ken_C_
Beginner

Hi Jeffrey,

I got the same problem when run sample_multi_transcode_drm

First, I installed Intel Media SDK 2014 in my Linux Servers, OS is Ubuntu 14.04 and the CPU is Core i5-4670. And QSV works very well. 

However, I also installed Intel Media SDK 2014 to other Linux Servers, OS is Ubuntu 12.04 and the CPU is Core i7-3770. I changed Linux Kernel to version 3.2.0-41 and remove libdrm* files under folder /usr/ before I installed Media SDK. And I didn't get any fail or error message when install Media SDK.

But, the func MFXVideoENCODE_Init() returned MFX_WRN_PARTIAL_ACCELERATION when i run sample sample_multi_transcode_drm. Do you have any comment or suggestion.

Below is the command I implement.

./sample_multi_transcode_drm -i::h264 input.h264 -o::mpeg2 output.mpeg2 –w 1920 –h 1080 –f 30 –b 2000 –u 7 -hw

Best Regards.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Sorry for the delayed reply.  The PARTIAL_ACCELERATION warning means it is running in CPU instead of using hardware acceleration.

Some questions:

• What is the resolution of your input file?
  • Do you see this warning for other inputs?  (We often use Big Buck Bunny and Tears of Steel because they use a Creative Commons license)
  • Are you only seeing this slowdown on 3rd Generation Core/Ivybridge?
  • Is this behavior only for mpeg2, or also for h.264?

Best regards, Jeff

0 Kudos