Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

[UHD 620 / Surface Pro 6] Slow VPP for YUV->RGB conversion

Daniels__Alan
Beginner

System: Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (128 GB)

CPU: i5-8250U

GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 620

Driver: 24.20.100.6294

RAM: 8 GB @ 1867 MHz

Hello,

I am using the Media SDK for decoding an H.264 stream, with VPP to convert the decoder's NV12 output to RGB. On the Surface Pro 6, decoding 1920x1080 content takes about ~2.5 - 3 ms. Converting NV12 to (RGB) takes ~8-9 ms, but can take upwards of 20 ms on some frames. It gets a couple milliseconds slower running on battery (despite selecting the Best Performance power profile). I tried two different Surface Pro 6 tablets and both have this performance.

On a Microsoft Surface Go (Intel UHD 615), it's a lot more reasonable. Decoding takes about ~4 ms while the color format conversion takes ~2 ms, with very little variance.

Task Manager has a Video Processing graph for the Surface Pro 6, but it always shows 0% usage. Not sure if this is intended to capture VPP workload or not though. The SDK never returns MFX_WRN_PARTIAL_ACCELERATION.

This sounds like a firmware issue from my perspective, but if there is any workaround (or if this is fixed in a newer driver), please let me know! Any advice would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
0 Replies