Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Understanding HEVC HW encoder plugins

koby_s_
Beginner

Hello

I am trying to use the HEVC hardware accelerated encoder and i found 2 plugins.
1. MFX_PLUGINID_HEVCE_HW
2. MFX_PLUGINID_HEVCE_GACC

When i tried to simply run sample_encode with h264 encoder, the sample encode failed with an error (see attached file 1.txt)

but when i tried to use the hevc_gacc plugin sample_encode ran as expeected (attahced file 2.txt)

I would like to ask what is the difference between the plugins? and when should i use each one of them?

Some details :
OS  : Centos 7.2.1511
CPU : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1275 v5 @ 3.60GHz
GPU : 00:02.0 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:191d] (rev 06)    (from lspci)

Thank you
Koby

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Anna_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Koby,

To understand the difference between HW and GPU-accelerated encoders, please take a look at this topic: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk/topic/702371#comment-1892000 

About your problem - sample can't find HW plugin, please make sure that plugin is in right folder.

Best wishes,

Anna

0 Kudos