Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Using Intel Quick Sync on MAC OSX

Unlucky_B_
Beginner

Hi,

Can any MAC OSX video software maker can use Quick Sync in its app (assuming they have the hardware that support it) ? 

In other words, as a user, i've seen that only Quicktime, Facetime, iMovie, and Final Cut X use quicksync. Those three 4 softwares are made by Apple. No other software maker on MAC seems to be using (knowing ?) QSV. Is there a Media SDK for MAC ? What should i need to do if i want to develop a video application which would involve video decoding and encoding, which would use QSV to have good performances with low CPU usage ? 

I'm not making software but i'm encouraging every video software maker to use QSV as it's just a best in terms of report Quality/Performance but i've sadly see that it seems it's not well known on OSX

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Unlucky_B_
Beginner

Eric Egur from intel developped FFDSHOW Intel Quick Sync version for PC. I asked him what should be used on MAC to use quicksync as GPU hardware acceleration . Here is its answer :

Apple has a video a acceleration API (that of course should use the QuickSync engine). Read more via this link : https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/technotes/tn2267/_index.html

That page also references a Qt class that can do it for you.
Note that this framework is for H264 decoding only.
I can guess that when H265 is properly supported by HW and become more mainstream, Apple will switch to it and improve the API.

0 Kudos