Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Using Media SDK samples over remote desktop/RDP

celli4
New Contributor I
I find that the sample_decode.exe sample program using (-hw) works fine from the console,
but when I use it over windows Remote Desktop, it fails at the Init() call.
Is there a workaround to continue using Remote Desktop to run this program with the -hw option?
Thanks
Cameron
0 Kudos
3 Replies
IDZ_A_Intel
Employee
Hi Cameron,

Intel Media SDK HW operations does not work over Remote Desktop. The reason for this is that Direct3D is not supported over Windows Remote Desktop. Media SDK HW acceleration depends on Direct3D access.

You may try other remote desktop solutions, such as VNC, but I cannot guarantee it will work.

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos
celli4
New Contributor I
Petter,
Thanks for your response.
It seems that 2.0 did not allow RDP/remote desktop use, but it seems that the new 3.0 beta does allow it!!
So, I'm able to work in that manner!
Thanks
Cameron
0 Kudos
IDZ_A_Intel
Employee
Hi Cameron,
A heads up. If you do not see explicit issues trying to run on HW via RDP, you are likely silently falling back on SW codec anyway.
Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos