Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

VAAPI MSDK playback h264 video damage

duncanchou
New Contributor I

Hello Sir, 

We playback the h264 video file by msdk, the video always has damages, but  we playback with  ffplay and gstreamer  without any video damage,  maybe we  need add some setting on MSDK.

IMG_0524.JPG

Thanks

Michael Wu

(1) Test Video test_fps_30_playback.h264

(2) Test Environment

CPU: Intel(R) Atom(TM) Processor E3950 @ 1.60GHz

VA-API version 1.8.0

MediaSDK version 1.34

5.4.0-56-generic #62~18.04.1-Ubuntu x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

(3) Test Cmd

1. msdk

michaelwu@michaelwu-Broxton-P:/mnt/nfsshare/atom_rebuild/msdk_ori/build$ __bin/release/sample_decode h264 -hw -vaapi -window 1970 100 1820 980 -i test_fps_30_playback.h264 -calc_latency -r

2. gstreamer

gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=./test_fps_30_playback.h264 ! video/x-h264 ! h264parse ! avdec_h264 ! videoconvert ! videorate ! video/x-raw,framerate=30/1 ! autovideosink

3. ffmpeg

ffplay test_fps_30_playback.h264

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Michael,

Although you have solved the problem by fixing your library, the problem still exists: how can Media SDK handle a broken stream, dev team had a reference article in the reference guide:

https://github.com/Intel-Media-SDK/MediaSDK/blob/master/doc/mediasdk-man.md#broken-streams-handling

I hope this will help you in your future product development.

Mark Liu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi ,

Thank you for posting in Intel forums.

We could observe a similar issue when we tried the steps provided using same input file in Windows. We are checking with the concerned team regarding this. Will get back to you soon on the updates.

Raeesa

0 Kudos
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi,

We are forwarding this case to subject matter experts. Thank you for your patience.

Raeesa

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the question and it seems like you are testing our tool for a solid product.

It is understandable that our API should be handle corrupted videos and recover from it. Unfortunately our sample_decode seems not design for this kind of use case.

To help you with the problem, I will contact with dev team. But I think your basic request is,

• Do we have a sample to show the recovery algorithm?
  • If not, how can we use the Media SDK API to hand the recovery from the corrupted videos?

Can you confirme?

I believe you are using a corrupted video since even I can see the successful playback from FFmpeg, it also reported errors at the failure frames where the Media SDK failed.

Mark

0 Kudos
duncanchou
New Contributor I

Hello Mark, 

"Do we have a sample to show the recovery algorithm?  "

===> Yes

The video maybe distortion for some reasons, we hope the MSDK can do recovery or decode them like ffmpeg or gstreamer

Thanks

Michael Wu

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Thanks Michael,

Let me submit a request to dev team.

Mark

0 Kudos
duncanchou
New Contributor I

Hello Mark,

We got some internal libraries, we have found the root caused and fixed our issue.  

So you don't need provide us the recovery algorithms or do any modified of MSDK. 

Thanks for your kindly support. 

Michael Wu : )

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Michael,

Although you have solved the problem by fixing your library, the problem still exists: how can Media SDK handle a broken stream, dev team had a reference article in the reference guide:

https://github.com/Intel-Media-SDK/MediaSDK/blob/master/doc/mediasdk-man.md#broken-streams-handling

I hope this will help you in your future product development.

Mark Liu

0 Kudos
duncanchou
New Contributor I

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your information,

this  reference guide is valuable for us  in our  product development.

Thank you for your help.

Michael Wu

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Thanks Michael,

Good to know you have solve this.

Let me close it.

Mark

0 Kudos