Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

VAAPI/QSV encode video with alpha channel

Wu2019
Beginner

Hello,

I use VAAPI (ffmpeg+libva+media-driver) to encode a WebM video from a raw video with RGBA.

The final WebM video don't save alpha information (maybe means AlphaMode is closed).  I don't know whether it is the hardware that support encoding a alpha frame?Or maybe there are some limitations of the open source software library implementation? Did I miss anything crucial?

Many thanks in advance for your help
Wu

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Ximing,

Sorry for the late response.

The best place to ask this question is FFmpeg forum because this forum is to support Intel media toolkit like Media SDK and oneVPL.

I did a quick to the VAAPI driver support FFmpeg QSV plugin, here is the support table. As you can see it should support Alpha channel if your codec is VP9. But FFmpeg might mask out the alpha channel, so you might need to solve this problem first. You can use software codec to encode and make sure the alpha is not masked and switch to qsv. If you still got question, please go to FFmpeg forum to post.

Mark Liu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RahulU_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel forums. We are checking on this internally. We will get back to you soon.

Thanks and Regards

Rahul

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Ximing,

Sorry for the late response.

The best place to ask this question is FFmpeg forum because this forum is to support Intel media toolkit like Media SDK and oneVPL.

I did a quick to the VAAPI driver support FFmpeg QSV plugin, here is the support table. As you can see it should support Alpha channel if your codec is VP9. But FFmpeg might mask out the alpha channel, so you might need to solve this problem first. You can use software codec to encode and make sure the alpha is not masked and switch to qsv. If you still got question, please go to FFmpeg forum to post.

Mark Liu

0 Kudos
Wu2019
Beginner

Hi Liu,

Thanks for your help!

I'm glad it's not because the hardware doesn't support it. And I will try to adjust my solution based on this.

This is very helpful to me. Thank you again for your reply!

Wu

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Yes, I can find the Alpha support at the media driver table but I can't find information in the Media SDK side. So I think FFmpeg QSV might help on this.

Mark

0 Kudos