Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

VP9 Decode Hangs with oneVPL

AggravatedAl
Beginner

Hi,

I wanted to decode VP9 streams on Alder Lake and I was not able to decode a simple vp9 bitstream. 

The task manager shows that the Video Decode engine is active, but it seems to hang and unable to finish.  I'm using sample_decode.exe.

Command:

sample_decode.exe vp9 -i input.ivf 

System:

Processor: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H 2.70 GHz

Intel oneAPI Video Processing Library, v.2022.0.1

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JaideepK_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

We tried to decode the VP9 bitstream with sample_decode.exe and we were able to see some errors related to sts=MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED (3). We are currently working on this with the dev team and will let you know.

Can you please confirm the following:

Is it hanging or is it throwing any errors or both

Thanks,

Jaideep

0 Kudos
AggravatedAl
Beginner

Hi Jaideep,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I do not see any errors, the last message I see in the terminal is:

"Decoding started"

It hangs after that with no output in the terminal (the bitstream isn't that large and it hangs for several minutes).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JaideepK_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the details.

We are working on this internally and get back to you.

Thanks,

Jaideep

0 Kudos
roy5

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Can you do the following steps:

Step-1: Pick any of the .yuv file provided in content folder and encode that to VP9 using the following command:

sample_encode.exe vp9 -i test_stream_176x96.yuv -o output_1.vp9 -w 176 -h 96 -hw

Step-2: Pass the generated file in Step-1 as input to decoder:

sample_decode.exe vp9 -i output_1.vp9 -o out.yuv -hw 

I just want to check whether the issue is specific to the input file.

If the decoder hangs for the command given in Step-2, you could install the latest driver on your windows machine and try the command again.

Also, if you could share the input file you are trying to decode, that would be great.

Thanks,

Rupak

0 Kudos