Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

VPP - Denoising is not working as expected

Karthick_K_
Beginner

I run the VPP code in sample_vpp (sdk sample downloaded from https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/MediaSamples_Windows_6.0.0.68.msi) by passing a noisy input nv12 for removing noise. The below is the command line I used:

sample_vpp.exe -sw 300 -sh 300 -scc nv12 -dw 300 -dh 300 -dcc nv12 -denoise 99 -i input.yuv -o denoised.yuv

The resultant output still has the noisy image and is exactly identical to the input image though no errors are reported in the console.

My System Config:

Dell Latitude E6440

Intel - HD 4600

SDK version - 1.13

I have also attached the input image and the console output. Can you tell what I'm doing wrong here?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Karthick, 

I am able to reproduce your issue, my believe at the moment is that denoise filter is broken in Media SDK. I will confirm with the VPP team and get back to you on this.

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
david123456
Beginner

We found the same issue under MSS2016. OS is cent7.1. CPU is haswell

0 Kudos
david123456
Beginner

any update?

0 Kudos
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi , MSS 2017 R2 is the most version, can you check it on the most new version ?

0 Kudos
david123456
Beginner

Hi,

System: Open source media sdk(very like MSS2017R3) on i3 6100 and centos 7.4.

We use multi-transcode with denoise 0,80,100, the results have no difference.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
david123456
Beginner

Hi,

We try MSS2017R3 by multi-transcode under Win10 with i5 7500 SKU, same issue.

Is it very hard for intel to debug?

David

0 Kudos
david123456
Beginner

Hi, Intel

The denoise function supported from API 1.1. Now the API updated to 1.25.

Why the basic function (denoise) abnormal for many years which intel doesn't pay attention to it?

Should we use opencl with operating VEBOX to achieve denoise function?

David

0 Kudos