Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

VPP background

Nikolay_K_2
Beginner

Is it possible to turn off fill outside crop region (MFXVideoVPP_RunFrameVPPAsync)?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Nikolay,

You can try mfxExtVPPColorFill to disable the filling.

You can refer to following online document or the developer guide in the release package for the usage:

https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/mediasdk-man.pdf

Let me know if you have more questions.

Mark

0 Kudos
Nikolay_K_2
Beginner

Thank you, Mark.

I have tried to use mfxExtVPPColorFill, but with no success (MFX_ERR_INVALID_VIDEO_PARAM on Init). Also, there is no sample showing how this extension works. Can you check is my code correct?

#define ALIGN_UP(value, alignment)  ((alignment) * ((value) / (alignment) + (((value) % (alignment)) ? 1 : 0)))

mfxInitParam		initPar;
MFXVideoSession	    session;
mfxVideoParam	    VPPParams;
mfxExtVPPColorFill  extColorFill;
MFXVideoVPP*	    pVPP = nullptr;
uint32_t			width = 640;
uint32_t			height = 480;

int main()
{
	mfxStatus mfxsts;

memset(&(initPar), 0, sizeof(initPar));
	initPar.Version.Major = 1;
	initPar.Version.Minor = 19;
	initPar.Implementation = MFX_IMPL_SOFTWARE;

mfxsts = session.InitEx(initPar);
	if (MFX_ERR_NONE != mfxsts) return -1;

pVPP = new (std::nothrow) MFXVideoVPP(session);
	if (nullptr == pVPP) return -2;

memset(&VPPParams, 0, sizeof(VPPParams));
	VPPParams.IOPattern = MFX_IOPATTERN_IN_SYSTEM_MEMORY | MFX_IOPATTERN_OUT_SYSTEM_MEMORY;

mfxFrameInfo& vppInInfo = VPPParams.vpp.In;
	mfxFrameInfo& vppOutInfo = VPPParams.vpp.Out;

vppInInfo.FourCC = MFX_FOURCC_NV12;
	vppInInfo.ChromaFormat = MFX_CHROMAFORMAT_YUV420;
	vppInInfo.CropX = 0;
	vppInInfo.CropY = 0;
	vppInInfo.CropW = width;
	vppInInfo.CropH = height;
	vppInInfo.PicStruct = MFX_PICSTRUCT_PROGRESSIVE;
	vppInInfo.FrameRateExtN = 30;
	vppInInfo.FrameRateExtD = 1;
	vppInInfo.Width = ALIGN_UP(vppInInfo.CropW, 32);
	vppInInfo.Height = ALIGN_UP(vppInInfo.CropH, 32);

memcpy(&vppOutInfo, &vppInInfo, sizeof(mfxFrameInfo));
	vppOutInfo.CropW /= 2;
	vppOutInfo.CropH /= 2;

memset(&(extColorFill), 0, sizeof(extColorFill));
	extColorFill.Header.BufferId = MFX_EXTBUFF_VPP_COLORFILL;
	extColorFill.Header.BufferSz = sizeof(mfxExtVPPColorFill);
	extColorFill.Enable = MFX_CODINGOPTION_OFF;

mfxExtBuffer* ExtBuffer[1];
	ExtBuffer[0] = (mfxExtBuffer*)&extColorFill;
	VPPParams.NumExtParam = 1;
	VPPParams.ExtParam = (mfxExtBuffer**)&ExtBuffer[0];

mfxsts = pVPP->Init(&VPPParams);

}

Thanks

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Nikolay,

Sorry for the late response, I was focusing on other project and didn't have chance to look at your question.

I did some research and found sample_vpp has an argument to disable color filling, so if you can run it with argument "-cf_disable" to see if it can turn off the color at the output.

If this can do what you expected, then I think your code has some error on how to handle the points when passed to mfxVideoParams through mfxExtBuffer. Yes, I agree it is not very straightforward, here are the clues you might look at it:

Mark

0 Kudos
Nikolay_K_2
Beginner

Thank you, Mark.

It seems, there are difference beetween github samples and samples from Media SDK 2018 R2_1 from this site. 

One more question, is there support for Intel Atom x5-z8350 (Cheery Trail) in linux version of Intel Media SDK?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Nikolay,

Does my info help?

For your question, I don't think this processor has the hardware to support HW accelerated codec after check our web site https://ark.intel.com

Normally, if we have the hardware, Media SDK should support.

Mark

0 Kudos
Nikolay_K_2
Beginner

Hi Mark,

I assumed that mfxExtVPPColorFill  is linux-only feature, but I couldn't get HW acceleration works on my atom PC with linux OS.

Intel Atom x5-z8350 has hardware support on Windows up to ver.1.19, but it seems that linux proprietary driver is not implemented for Cheery Trail CPUs.

Nikolay

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Nikolay,

If you check ark.intel.com with Z8350, looking at "graphic" section, you should be expected to see "Quick Sync Video" item but it is not there. This means it doesn't support Intel hardware video acceleration. 

Back to the older atom process, there was some version which has third party graphic which might support hardware codec but I can't tell if this is the case for cherry trail.

But since Media SDK support software codec, the video codec might still work in your case. For Linux, the driver should be in the kernel one way or other but since the chip doesn't have the hardware, it doesn't make sense.

Let me know if this answers your questions.

Mark

0 Kudos
Nikolay_K_2
Beginner

Hi Mark, 

According to this document, Z8350 has Quick Sync Video support.

Nikolay

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Yes, it looks like different from ark.intel.com.

So I think there are mistakes for one of the document versions, the best way to check is to actually install Media Server Studio and run our samples.

There is also other issue:

According to media driver document, we don't support Atom until ApolloLake, this might mean we don't validate on CherryTrail since it is a very old processor.

So chances are, if you can install Ubuntu 16.04 or later and then build Media SDK Open Source library and then run the samples.

Mark

0 Kudos
Nikolay_K_2
Beginner

Thank you, Mark.

Nikolay

0 Kudos