Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

VPP corrupts NV12 to YUY2 conversion when using SW mode

Ramashankar
New Contributor III

Hi,

Sample_vpp is not converting nv12 to yuy2 when using software acceleration. I tried sw dll (libmfxsw64.dll) from Intel(R) Media SDK 2018 R1 and Intel(R) Media SDK 2019 R1, and both produced same issue. You can reproduce it by simple command line:

sample_vpp -i test_1920x1080.nv12 -o out.yuv -sw 1920 -sh 1080 -scc nv12 -dw 1920 -dh 1080 -dcc yuy2 -lib sw

If I use hardware acceleration (-lib hw option) then this conversion is fine, so I think issue is in libmfxsw64.dll only.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Mark_L_Intel1

Thanks Ramashankar,

I basically confirmed the behavior on 2019 R1, the output in software mode has a different pixel packing and back to normal when I switched to hardware mode. but I have a detailed question: which tool do you used to check YUY2. I used the rawpixels.net but the color looks like the UV channels being switched.

Mark

0 Kudos
Ramashankar
New Contributor III

Hi Mark,

I am using yuvplayer.exe (https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Video-Players/YUV-Player.shtml) to check the yuv output. Also, I use to check with our render app which is capable of rendering various yuv formats. To me, it seems the output frame is mixup yuy2 and nv12 at some parts.

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Thanks so much,

I had submit the bug yesterday and kinda confirmed the behavior, although the color of the output in "-lib hw" has a different color, it looks the U and V channel was swapped. I will check it again with yuvplayer.exe

I will keep you updated.

Mark

0 Kudos
Ramashankar
New Contributor III

Thanks Mark for submitting this bug. It would be great to get fix of this asap as it is causing issue in our product on those pc which are not having intel graphics card.

Meanwhile, I implemented manual conversion of NV12 to YUY2 (by parsing each pixels of nv12 and rearranging them as per yuy2 ordering). Though it is working fine but its surely more cpu & time consuming  operations.

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Ramashankar,

I have synced with dev team and they start looking at it. 

I will keep you updated.

Mark

0 Kudos
Ramashankar
New Contributor III

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the update. Hope to get its fix soon as it doesn't seem very complex issue :)

0 Kudos
Ramashankar
New Contributor III

Hi Mark,

Is there any update on this?

0 Kudos
Ramashankar
New Contributor III

Hi Mark,

Today I got an email notification regarding update on this post, but I find no update here.

Anyway, is there any progress on this issue? Is it fixed?

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi, Ramashankar,

Sorry for the confusion, no update yet.

I have asked dev team before but no result yet.

Let me ask them again.

Mark

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Apologies for the delays. Media SDK functionality has been superseded by oneVPL, FFmpeg and GStreamer.

For more information see the oneVPL Landing Page: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/tools/oneapi/onevpl.html where you will find, among other information:

oneVPL version 2.x is an API that is the successor to Intel® Media SDK. The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active and will not be updated. Packages and downloads are still available on GitHub*. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to move to oneVPL as soon as possible.

·       Upgrade from Intel Media SDK to oneVPL

·       Intel Media SDK Discontinuation Notice

·       Download from GitHub

Let us know if you have any questions about oneVPL or how to convert from MediaSDK.

0 Kudos