Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

VPP not copying to output surface

dr_asik
Beginner

I have difficulty understanding how to work with different types of surfaces. I successfully set up a DECODE -> system memory -> VPP -> system memory chain, using no external allocator, but when I attempt to change it to DECODE -> video memory -> VPP -> system memory, things break left and right.

First, it appears that a session can only have one external frame allocator, set through MFXSession::SetFrameAllocator. But clearly if we are using two different types of surfaces, the same frame allocator cannot be used for both, unless I am mistaken?

I currently have set up a chain like this: DECODE -> video memory -> VPP -> system memory. I have used SetFrameAllocator with the D3D11 allocator. I call RunFrameVPPAsync with the output surface from the decoder and a frame allocated with a SysMemFrameAllocator, and then Sync on the sync point I called it with.

The first thing I noticed is that if I simply do this, a Lock() operation fails on a D3D11 frame. I noticed that this is called

mfxStatus D3D11FrameAllocator::LockFrame(mfxMemId mid, mfxFrameData *ptr)

Here "mid" is the value of the system memory frame, not the D3D11 frame! So of course this fails and returns MFX_ERR_LOCK.

I tried setting the "mid" of the system memory frame to the value of the input D3D11 frame, and then everything returns MFX_ERR_NONE, but no data gets actually copied into my output frame. It's empty. I noticed that Lock doesn't even get called on my output frame.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
0 Replies