Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Visual artifacts found when using Intel media SDK VPP on few machines

Avulapati__Balakrish

Working with intel media sdk , succeeded with the following scenario.

Capturing the screen and encoding those images using hardware h264 codec. Could play the encoded h264 bitstream using ffplay. But when I used the same code on a different windows machine, found some difference in colors.

In order to find the problem, separated VPP and encoding blocks of code. And tried software implementation of Intel media SDK, the bitstream was fine. With hardware implementation of VPP, found artifacts.

Used intel media sdk tutorial  0.0.3 and attached the system analyzer report(Amith-PC-HW-report.txt) 

and the screenshot of the color differences(scaling-artifacts.png) and actual colors(scaling.png).

Any help resolving this would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ramashankar
New Contributor III

Looks like same issue as faced by me here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk/topic/657754

I am also awaiting for its solution from quite long but didn't get any till now. Hope to get any fix now.

0 Kudos
Avulapati__Balakrish

Ramashankar,

Thanks for your reply. I saw your post now , same issue as I am facing.

Are you waiting for their reply from 2 years?

0 Kudos
Ramashankar
New Contributor III

Yes, I have been waiting for their response in expectation to get a proper fix. But meanwhile, i had implemented few work around for this issue.

1. As I was facing this issue in BGRA->NV12 conversion through VPP (HW mode) before encoding, so i switched to Intel screen capture plugin which gives raw frame in NV12 format. Now i don't need this conversion so no visual artifact.

2. As I cant use Intel capture on all scenario, so there i used SW mode VPP conversion which also works fine, but yes it is a performance overhead. So I am still looking for this issue fix from intel side in order to use hw mode conversion.

0 Kudos
Ramashankar
New Contributor III

Hi,

Is anyone from intel team looking in to this issue? It is causing severe quality issue. Work around implemented by me (as mentioned above) are also having some other issues.

0 Kudos