Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3056 Discussions

WPF user control to render Intel Media SDK decoded video

das__monotosh
Beginner

Hi,

Is there any sample code to use WPF C# .Net to render video decoded by Intel media SDK?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Monotosh,

As far as I know, there is no plan to develop C# interface to Media SDK yet.

But this is a good time to discuss so we might have some feedback to the develop team.

1. I am trying to understand your request, if you only want to render the output frame, does it mean we should also wrap Media SDK pipeline so it will share the output surface with C# render code?
  2. Do you have any other options if we don't support C#?

Mark

0 Kudos
das__monotosh
Beginner

Thanks Mark for the reply.

It is a common believe that WPF/C# is better tool for GUI development. The people who are good at GUI design are artists, and don't want to know anything more about video decoding and rendering.

Now we want to design good GUI with all the WPF features  and display video from custom video bitstream source.

So the requirements are as follows:

1. No need to expose the entire Intel Media SDK pipeline at every step. Only need to expose the mechanism to feed encoded bit stream. The decoded video gets rendered on WPF user control directly utilising the GPU memory. The user should not be exposed to handling the Window handles. 

2. Is there any better GUI development option other than WPF/C# in windows?

3. I do not know the efficiency of hardware decoding through Windows Media Foundation pipeline.

Best regards,

Monotosh

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Thanks for the good feedback,

I have submitted the issue and I am not sure if C# is in the scope yet. But if not, would MFT works for you? I think we have some enabling around MFT.

Mark

0 Kudos
das__monotosh
Beginner

Hi Mark,

MFT would do for now. Can you point me to that example?

Does it have same efficiency? Same asynchronous operation? I believe this MFT integration is via DXVA2.

Regards,

Monotosh

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Yes, I will.

I believe MFT should go to the media runtime and skip MFX library, it should have the same efficiency.

Specifically, I will check if we have an example for decoding + rendering by MFT while Intel HW acceleration must be enabled.

Mark

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Monotosh,

I checked and we don't have particular examples except MFT examples. Since this is basically Microsoft's domain, you should be able to find a lot of example there.

I don't have a lot of background on WPF so I am not sure how WPF works with MFT. The other document you might check is high level API for Multimedia in C# like MediaPlayer. AFAIK it also uses MFT inside.

Hope this helps.

Mark

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Monotosh,

Sorry for the long delay of the request to C# support.

This request was tracked internally so I discussed with dev team. Here is what we decided:

• This requires the development of C# library to bind the Media SDK API to C# API, currently we don’t decide to add this request in our product yet. However, if there is more need from the market, we will reopen the discussion.

Mark

0 Kudos