Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

What is the most simple way to decode as RGB32?

dr_asik
Beginner

I'm using decode from system memory buffers into system memory buffers, using hardware acceleration. Unfortunately, this gives me NV12 buffers that I then have to convert on the CPU to RGB32 for presentation, which is very slow. Is it possible to have the conversion be performed by the hardware, and what would be the simplest way of doing that?

I have checked the reference manual, and under Hardware Acceleration there is a section explaining that under D3D9 and D3D11, the decoder can have a "Decoder Render Target" of type RGB32, however I don't understand what that entails and how to set it up. Does that require using D3D surfaces as output? Where can you specify that you want RGB32 as output? Is there a way to still automatically convert back to system memory buffers?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Yes, using opaque memory (out of decode and into VPP) is a good way to decode to RGB System memory.

Please let me know if you have any issues with this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
andya
Beginner

media sdk vpp module,it can nv12 to rgb32.

0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Yes, using opaque memory (out of decode and into VPP) is a good way to decode to RGB System memory.

Please let me know if you have any issues with this.

0 Kudos
Jeff_D_3
Beginner

I am experiencing this very same issue. Does anyone from Intel have a specific answer to this that is actually helpful?

0 Kudos