Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Where is H.264 decoder (mfx_mft_h264vd_32.dll)?

Wells_C_
Beginner

I've downloaded and installed the Intel Media SDK R2 for Clients and it contains a mfx_mft_h264ve_32.dll, which I presume contains the H.264 encoder but it didn't contain mfx_mft_h264vd_32.dll which I've inferred contains the H.264 decoder.  Where do I get this DLL, or more to the point where can I get the DLL that contains a Media Foundation transform that does hardware accelerated decode?

Thanks,
Wells

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Hi,

For Windows 8 and newer operating systems, Microsoft provides an MFT that takes advantage of available hardware, so we do not need to provide an MFT for this operation.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Wells_C_
Beginner

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the quick response!  I've actually used the Microsoft supplied H.264 MFT and it works well.  The only problem is that in order to get it to leverage the GPU you have to provide it with a ID3D11Device via the IMFDXGIDeviceManager interface.  This works fine if your only GPU is the HD4000 embedded in your processor but in addition to the HD4000 I also have a discrete GPU that I use to power 6-12 displays (for a digital signage solution).  The problem I've found with the discrete GPU is that the system thinks that the discrete GPU is the primary GPU and, from what I can tell, you can only create a hardware ID3D11Device on the primary GPU.

I was hoping that by getting the Intel supplied H.264 MFT, I would be able to leverage the HD4000 GPU to do the video decode, and then use the discrete GPU to do the color-space transformation and presentation for my 6-12 1080p video streams.  Is this a supported scenario for the Intel H.264 MFT or do you know if this approach would even be possible?

Thanks,
Wells

0 Kudos