Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Wrong frame order coming out of the video decoder

koby_s_
Beginner

Hi
I am using the sample_multi_transcode as a refernece for my live transcoding application.
First, I implemented a decoder code and it's seems to work except the output order is incorrect.

The input is coming from mpegts/udp being demultiplexed. I push the compressed video frames as they arrive, in stream order (not display order).
After getting MFX_ERR_NONE from the video decoder, I call SyncOperation, lock the frame, dump the output to a raw (YV12) file and unlock the frame.
examining of the YV12 file reveals that order is incorrect.
I see the same behaviour when I connect VPP->H264 Encoder and dump the H264 elementry stream to a file.

When initializing the decoder, I set DecodedOrder = 0 (and also EncodedOrder=0 for the encoder)
Any suggestions what can cause to this problem?

Thank you
Koby

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

I've found FFmpeg can be very helpful for cases like this.  You can prototype both sides separately.

For example:

Server side:

ffmpeg -re -i (infile)  -f h264 udp://127.0.0.1:10001

Client side:

ffplay -i udp://127.0.0.1:10001

From your description, it seems like you may want EncodedOrder=1 on the server/encoder side.  This will give you a quick way to check.

By the way, Media SDK codecs are available in FFmpeg as h264_qsv, mpeg2_qsv, and hevc_qsv (if you install Professional Edition) in ffmpeg 2.8 and forward. This means you could use the Media SDK encoder simply by adding -vcodec h264_qsv to the first command line, though it wouldn't be quite as efficient as a custom implementation.  For more info on how to install (for Linux) see https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/accessing-intel-media-server-studio-for-linux-codecs-with-ffmpeg.  The FFmpeg code or the tutorials may be a simpler starting point than sample_multi_transcode.

Regards, Jeff

0 Kudos
koby_s_
Beginner

Thank you Jeff,

I found my problem.

I locked the output surface too late and the decoder used it again.

When the VPP/encoder tried to used the surface, the content was already overwriten by the decoder and the "old" frame was no longer exists in the memory.

Koby

0 Kudos