Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

av_hwdevice_ctx_create

FredJones
Beginner

Hi

I have a machine running Windows 10 that has 2 graphics cards in it, an Intel HD Graphics 630 & an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060. The CPU supports Quicksync & the monitor is plugged into the Intel Graphics card.

I'm using a variant of Anton Khirnov's 2015 qsvdec.c example.

When I get to the line:

av_hwdevice_ctx_create(@FHWDecode.hw_device_ref,AV_HWDEVICE_TYPE_QSV,'auto',nil,0)

I get "Error initializing an MFX session: -3." If I disable the NVIDIA card in the device manager the call is successful & things work properly. To my untrained eye, it would appear like it's trying to open a Quicksync session on the wrong card. Interestingly, when I initialize a quicksync enabled encoder (eg h264_qsv) it is quite happy to do that even when the NVIDIA card enabled.

I can identify which videocontroller is the Intel card using WMI. Is there a way of pointing at the correct videocontroller without having to disable to card?

Best wishes

Fred

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DiyaN_Intel

Hi, 

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

Are you using Intel® Media SDK/oneVPL as this forum only supports queries related to Intel® Media SDK/oneVPL?

Thanks and Regards,

Diya

0 Kudos
FredJones
Beginner

I'm trying to use libav which, as I understand it, uses the Media SDK.

0 Kudos
DiyaN_Intel

Hi, 

Could you please share the following details which will help us to investigate further: 

1. Sample reproducer code.

2. Exact steps and the commands used.

3. OS, processor, and kernel details.

4. Media SDK version.

Thanks and Regards,

Diya

0 Kudos
FredJones
Beginner

Hi Diya

1. Hopefully I've attached the sample code. You'll need the libav dlls. I'm using the dlls bundled with v.4.4 of ffmpeg.

2.If you try & run the code on a machine that has both Intel & an NVIDIA graphics card, you'll get the error I described.

3.OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044 running on a Dell System Model XPS 8920
with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

4. I have Driver Version: 30.0.101.1404 of the Intel device drivers. I'm sorry but I have no idea how to tell which version of the SDK libav/FFMPEG was compiled against.

Best wishes

Fred

0 Kudos
DiyaN_Intel

Hi,

We are checking with our team internally and will get back to the earliest.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DiyaN_Intel

Hi, 

Good day to you.

Can you please try with the binaries from ffmpeg 6.0 (--enable-libvpl) and with updating KBL driver?

You can find the updated ffmpeg 6.0 from this link 

If you face any issues please connect back to us.

If this resolves your issue, make sure to accept this as a solution. 

This would help others with similar issues. Thank you!

Thanks and Regards,

Diya 

0 Kudos
DiyaN_Intel

Hi, 

Good day to you.

We have not heard back from you.

Is your issue resolved with the above solution?

If this resolves your issue, make sure to accept this as a solution. 

This would help others with similar issues. Thank you!

Thanks and Regards, 

Diya

0 Kudos
FredJones
Beginner

Unfortunately the code is in Delphi & the headers need to be translated. This takes considerable time & effort, so it's not a quick process, which is why it was tested against 4.4.

0 Kudos
DiyaN_Intel

Hi,

Is it an issue on any specific ffmpeg version?  

Can you share the log files which will help us to investigate further?

Would it be possible for you to try out using the latest ffmpeg 6.0 version and check if the issue still persists? 

Regards,

Diya

0 Kudos
DiyaN_Intel

Hi,

We have not heard back from you.

Could you please share the above details so that we can try to investigate the issue from our end?

Regards,

Diya 

0 Kudos
DiyaN_Intel

Hi, 

We have not heard back from you. This thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Thanks and Regards, 

Diya

0 Kudos