Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

can't open i965 driver unless root?

Ryan_D_1
Beginner

I have a Media Server Studio application on the golden CentOS distro, which runs fine if root user, but for user accounts you get a failure to open the i965 driver.  For sake of internal automation process, would prefer to not be root when running this app.  Have tried password-less sudo for a user account, but same error happens for the i965 driver.  Is there any workaround for this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Ryan, 

To use Media SDK, you need intel i915 driver, not i965 which you might be seeing when running applications with non-root permissions.
Solution : Please add the user to the video group -  $ usermod -a -G video [LOGIN]
Also, mentioned as a pre-requisite in the getting started guide as well. This should solve your issue. If that, doesn't help please send us the o/p of your application, when not using root privileges. 

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
Ryan_D_1
Beginner

thanks, this solved it

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Great, closing the issue. Please open a new thread if you have any questions in future!

-Surbhi

0 Kudos