Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3056 Discussions

failure of intel software encoder with windows 8 32 Bit

prateek_t_
Beginner

Hello friends,

I am using intel sample encoder example from Intel media SDK. It woks fine on some of PC configurations, while it fails for one of them during Init of mfxsession (C API call MFXInit) with Sowatware encoder:

mfxVersion version = {1, 1};
version.Minor = 0;

sts = m_mfxSession.Init(MFX_IMPL_SOFTWARE, &version);

I am using Intel Media SDK 2013. It is returning sts = -3 in case of failure.

It is working fine with the follwing combinations :-

OS- windows7(32 Bit), Processor- Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10Ghz, Intel Graphics HD 3000

OS- windows7(64 Bit), Processor- Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30Ghz, Intel Graphics HD 3000

OS- windows8(64 Bit), Processor- Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30Ghz. Intel Graphics HD 3000

Problem on following configuration, where it fails during MFXInit with error code -3:

OS- windows 8 (32 Bit), Processor- Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400CPU @ 3.10Ghz Intel Graphics HD 3000 

I am not able to understand why Software encoder fails in Init on Win8 32 bit machine.

Please note that Intel HW encoder works fine on the same Win8 32 bit machine.On all other machines (win8 64, win7 32, win7 64), both Intel SW and HW encoders of Intel Media SDK Init successfully and H.264 encoding is done without any problem. Only problem is Init failutre for SW encoder on Win8 32 bit.

Please help. Is there a bug in intel media SDK 2013 which causes this failure?

Thanks and Regards,

Prateek

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Prateek,

Most likely the issue is due to application not being able to find the Media SDK SW DL (libmfxsw32.dll or libmfxsw64.dll).

Make sure the DLL is accessible. An easy way to verify is to just copy the DLL to the same folder as the application executable.

Regards,
Petter 

0 Kudos
andy4us
Beginner

This is interesting, as I battled a similar problem for a good part of yesterday.  I am using exactly the same call and version request, using the code from pipeline_encode.cpp . Due to historical issues, I'm using XP Pro for software, then also a Win 7 32 bit with hardware.

Using the libmfxsw32.dll from 7/27/2012 my app initialises and works great. Using the dll from 12/3/2012, the init fails with -3. I put this down to the fact I was using XP, and have switched back to the 7/27/12 dll.

When using dll from 12/3/12, in output I see it being loaded, and then fails with "0xC0000139: Entry Point Not Found."

0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

If you are still encountering issues please provide log from Media SDK tracer tool. This will help us understand your setup and provide more detailed suggestions.

Regards,
Petter 

0 Kudos
innes
Beginner

Hi,

andy4us wrote:

Using the libmfxsw32.dll from 7/27/2012 my app initialises and works great. Using the dll from 12/3/2012, the init fails with -3. I put this down to the fact I was using XP, and have switched back to the 7/27/12 dll.

When using dll from 12/3/12, in output I see it being loaded, and then fails with "0xC0000139: Entry Point Not Found."

We have the same issue here. Using imsdk on some XP platforms, we have to stick to IMSDK 2012 R3 on those platforms.... 

Regards

0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi all,

First let me just state that Windows XP is an unsupported OS and not validated.

If you are still encountering issues on supported OSs please provide a Media SDK trace log so that we can investigate the issue further.

Regards.
Petter 

0 Kudos