Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

function MFXVideoENCODE_Init returned error

carial_2002
Beginner
When I used MFXVideoENCODE_Init to initialize MFXEncoder, it returned error code (-17). I used the following parameter settings (mfxVideoParam):

mfx.FrameInfo:

FourCC: 842094158
Width: 1280
Height: 1440
CropX: 0
CropY: 0
CropW: 1280
CropH: 1440
FrameRateExtN: 30
FrameRateExtD: 1
AspectRatioW: 0
Aspect RatioH: 0
PicStruct: 1
ChromaFormat: 1

CodecId: 541283905
CodecProfile: 0
CodecLevel: 0
NumThread: 0
TargetUsage: 4
GopPicSize: 30
GopRefDist: 1
RateControlMethod: 1
TargetKbps: 3651

The stange thing is that when I changed the frame size to 640 (width) by 480 (height) or 1280 (width) by 720 (height), the function return value is MFX_ERR_NONE (0). I want to know if there is any limitation on image size? Can we use any image size as long as it can be divided by 16? Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Nina_K_Intel
Employee
Hello,

Can you please provide versions of Media SDK and graphics driver you are seeing the issue with? (I assume you are running on a SandyBridge based system)

Thanks,
Nina
0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee
Hi,
For encoding, I believe the maximum limits on image size are width=1920 and height=1200.

(see other thread here: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=83570&o=d&s=lr )

This would mean the height value of 1440 is beyond the capabilities of encoding.

-Tony
0 Kudos
Nina_K_Intel
Employee
That's true. But the expected behavior of Media SDK is to fall back to software implementation for scenarios unsupported by hardware, so something is definitely wrong here if an error code is returned (must be a warning). We will check on the latest SandyBridge driver. If you are using a specific version please let us know.

Thanks,
Nina
0 Kudos
Nina_K_Intel
Employee
Confirming that appropriate code - warning MFX_WRN_PARTIAL_ACCELERATION - is return by HW MSDK from driver15.22.52.2559 in this case.
0 Kudos