Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

h264 decoded frame types

Richard_M_2
Beginner

I'm using the latest media sdk to decode an h264 bitstream, then vpp to convert the nv12 to rgb, and all is working well.

For timestamping purposes, I need to know the frametypes from which the resulting decoded frames were produced, since I only know the correct timestamps for I frames, and the framerate is variable. 

Currently, when adding data to the bitstream I can check if the data contains an I frame, and set a timestamp, which gets passed through to the output. If the data doesnt contain an i frame I pass a 0 in as the timestamp, which is also passed through to the result, so i have a basic flag.

This seems to work, but it doesnt seem the right way to be going about things.

Is there any way I can detect the frametype, or even some other way of passing data from the bitstream to the resulting output ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Richard,

Please check Pg 157 of the Media SDK Manual where we have frametype enum in mfxbitstream structure. Also, there has been a related post for a similar issue - https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/402459 ;
Hope this helps.

Thanks,
-Surbhi 

0 Kudos
Richard_M_2
Beginner

Hi Surbhi,

Thanks for that. But, as far as I can tell, the bitstream's frametype only gets set when Encoding, not Decoding. Is this right ? I need to know the frametype for the decoded image.

I've tried checking the value in the 'simple decoder' example, after the sync, and it's always set to 0.

I've also tried setting the value when i add data into the bitstream, but it always gets reset to 0 on output.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

- Richard
0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Richard,

Sorry for the late reply, this feature is not supported as of now. But engineering team is working on it and will be available in next release. The feature will be available for HW implementation only. 

-Surbhi

0 Kudos
Igall_N_
Beginner

Hi

was it fixed?

I am using the latest version and FrameType is always 0 in mfxBitstream

thanks!

0 Kudos