Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

intel media sdk 2015 “Generic” installation

zhang_f_2
Beginner

Dear all:
    I'm working on video conference.recently I have purchased intel NUC5i5RYK,I want to try intel media server studio 2015 on Ubuntu, so I use the "genenric" option to install the Media server studio on Ubuntu , but I met two questions:
    1) Considering that the "generic" option  Supported kernel version is 3.14.5,so I plan to install ubuntu Desktop version 14.04.1(kernel version: 3.13), then Upgrade kernel mode to 3.14.5, But I can not successful install ubuntu 14.04.1 ,In the process of installation, the image interface is displayed,  I have know the reason that  the Graphics of  intel NUC5i5RYK is HD 6000,  supported tkernel version of the Ubuntu is above 3.18, so i can't  install Successfully

2  )I install ubuntu Desktop 14.04.3 Successfully(kernel version: 3.19)on NUC5i5RYK, ,then install kernel mode driver 3.14.5,Remove the     Initial kernel version 3.19,but it will take a long time to Restart the operating system,and graphical interface is not normal.
    Now,I don't know how to how to solve the above problems,hoping to get everyone's help!
    Thanks 
                                                                                                                                                                                                         fengyuan

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Shaojuan_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Zhang,

I am not an expert on this, just some comments. Other experts can provide more insights. From your second option, after installing 14.04.3, did you try or were you able to install Media Server Studio (MSS) 2015 R6 successfully following generic installation steps? Maybe you can try install MSS before downgrade the kernel, and after installation, you can set the grub to use 3.14 kernel for MSS. Please let us know your findings. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Zhang,

I can setup MSS R6 successful on second option, my CPU is i7-4770R. And I think no need remove the Initial kernel version 3.19, only need select 3.14.5 kernel entry in Grub menu.

Do you meet some issues when build kernel 3.14.5 ?

Thanks

Zachary

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hello Zhang - Can you let us know if you were able to successfully install MSS on Ubuntu using our Generic install steps?

0 Kudos
cole_b_
Beginner

Hopefully this thread isn't too old. I am referencing the "media_server_studio_getting_started_guide.pdf" guide for MSS 2015 - Driver, SDK, Samples for Linux*.

I too am installing the media SDK on Ubuntu 14.04 using the generic installation steps. I am fairly certain I completed the UMD install steps correctly, but I am not so sure about the KMD steps. I initially was running kernel 3.19 and I followed the instructions to patch the kernel. After I rebooted, running "uname -r" returned 3.19-Generic or something similar. I figured maybe it was because I wasn't using 3.14.5. I then made sure GRUB defaulted to the 3.14.5 kernel and then repeated the steps to make sure the correct kernel was patched. "uname -r" now returns 3.14.5. How do i know the patch worked?

In the "Verifying correct installation" section of the guide, it says "check kernel version and that new i915 loaded with uname -r".  Does this mean "uname -r" should indicate i915? (It doesn't for me)

The second verification step says to try "lsmod | grep i915". It should return the following modules ("/" is a new module): i915 / drm_kmw_helper / drm / i2c_algo_bit / intel_gtt / i2c_core / i2c_i801, i915, drm_kms_helper, drm, i2c_algo_bit / video / button 

Mine returns: i915 / drm_kms_helper / drm / i2c_algo_bit / video

This is some, but not all of the expected output. Does this mean it is not patched correctly?

I can post a new topic if need be. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Hi Cole, thanks for your comments here. They will help us continue to make the generic install process and documentation easier to use.

Basically, if you applied the patches to 3.14.5, didn't see any errors when patching, and you got the new kernel to compile/boot you should be fine.

"$uname -r" should show 3.14.5 (not the default 3.19 kernel in your case)

Output of lsmod doesn't need to match.  Main goal is to show that i915 is loaded and used.

More hints on things to check below.  Hope they can help show that you've got a successful install or get you closer to one.

Regards, Jeff

You can also check lspci, which gives a lot of helpful info.  You should see an Intel graphics device, Haswell or Broadwell.  It should also show that this device is using i915.

# lspci -nn -v -s 00:02.0
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics [8086:162a] (rev 0a) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2010]
        Kernel driver in use: i915

You should also see cardN and renderDN+128 interfaces in /dev/dri

$ ls -l /dev/dri
total 0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 226,   0 Dec 10 15:23 card0
crw-------. 1 root video 226,  64 Dec 10 15:23 controlD64
crw-rw----. 1 root video 226, 128 Dec 10 15:23 renderD128

(Please note: as indicated by the permissions here the user running the Media SDK application should be in the video group.)

The vainfo utility gives a lot of useful feedback.  You should see something like below.  Main things to watch for are 'iHD' driver and path from /opt/intel/mediasdk.  Driver version string should show something like below (for MSS 2015 R6).  You should also see lots of entry points for MPEG2, H264, etc.

# vainfo | grep -v "<unknown entrypoint>"
error: can't connect to X server!
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: User requested driver 'iHD'
libva info: Trying to open /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_32
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.35 (libva 1.3.1)
vainfo: Driver version: 16.4.2.1.39163-ubit
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointVideoProc
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Baseline           : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointEncSlice

Finally, the best test is to try to run one of the Media SDK sample apps like sample_multi_transcode.  This lets you see a lot of things in one command line.  Here decode, encode, and lookahead are tested.  If all of these work it's highly likely you have the entire stack correctly installed (kernel updates, i915 module updates, iHD driver, libdrm/libva modifications).  The samples package includes test input, so all you need for below is the latest Linux samples package. (First cd to samples/_bin/x64.)

$ ./sample_multi_transcode_drm -i::h264 ../content/test_stream.264 -o::h264 test.h264 -hw -la
Multi Transcoding Sample Version 6.0.16043175.175

libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: User requested driver 'iHD'
libva info: Trying to open /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_32
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
Pipeline surfaces number: 60
MFX HARDWARE Session 0 API ver 1.16 parameters:
Input  video: AVC
Output video: AVC

Session 0 was NOT joined with other sessions

Transcoding started
Transcoding finished

Common transcoding time is  0.17 sec
MFX session 0 transcoding PASSED:
Processing time: 0.17 sec
Number of processed frames: 101

The test PASSED

0 Kudos
litian_z_
Beginner

Hi,

I want to use the vaapi in J1900 CPU. Ubuntu14.04

and can someone tell me whether the MSS R6 can use in J1900?

thank you

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Litian, 

Media Server Studio doesn't support J1900 system, details on supported system is available in our release notes - https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/media_server_studio_essentials_release_notes_linux.pdf 

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos