Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

kernel version 3.16.x support ?

rshal2
New Contributor II

Hello,

In getting started guide it shows that it is possible to use kernel 3.14.5 (with Intel's patches).

The thing is that we use video4linux capabilities and we need a more update kernel.

We need to use at least version 3.16.X

Is it possible to patch this kernel with intel's patches and use it with media sdk server ?

Thank you for the time,

Ran

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Hi Ran,

Yes, it is possible to use the 3.14.5 patches as a starting point and modify for other kernels.  However, beyond a few hints help with modifying the kernel patches is beyond the scope of this forum. Most of the patches are for the i915 module, so it may be possible to apply the patches to the 3.14.5 module code and move the entire module to 3.16.x.   No guarantees though -- fixing any incompatibilities from applying the patches outside the tested configuration is up to you.

Regards, Jeff

0 Kudos
rshal2
New Contributor II

Hi Jeffrey,

One more question if I may.

In the 'getting started' comments about generic kernel install it is mentioned to apply the kmd patches. On trying to do that with kernel 3.16.0 I get a lot of failures. I wander if these patches are required, ot is it that the kernel modules supplied with this version is not suffecient for the encoder/decoder.

if not - When will there be an update so that we can use media sdk server with more recent kernel version. 3.14.5 is too old for v4l.

Regards,

Ran

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Hi Ran, 

Thanks for the feedback on V4L compatibility.  Media Server Studio's generic package will not always stay at 3.14.5.  While the details on when and which kernel will be the new Generic base are not available yet, this forum is an ideal place to watch for updates.

In the meantime, the patches (including those to libva and libdrm) are indeed required for full functionality.  The source is given so you have a starting point for enabling other kernels.  However, as with any changes to the open source Linux components shipped with Media Server Studio, updates are up to you and out of the scope of this forum.  

Regards, Jeff

0 Kudos
elsparro
Beginner

Hi Ran,

FYI, the 4.1.18 kernel from kernel.org seems to work ok with the 2015r6 SDK.

I have not tested everything though, just decoding and encoding H264.

Best Regards

0 Kudos