Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

libmfx for accelerated h.264 decoding

Chris_S_11
Beginner

Hello,

My goal is to install libfmx.  I performed these steps already on CentOS 7:

sudo usermod -a -G video cstankevitz
cd ~/Downloads
cp ~/mnt/Dependencies/intel-opencl-1.2-1.0-47971.tar.gz .
tar xvzf intel-opencl-1.2-1.0-47971.tar.gz
cd intel-opencl-1.2-1.0-47971/
sudo rpm -ivh intel-opencl-1.2-1.0-47971.x86_64.rpm
sudo yum install yum-utils rpmdevtools pesign
cd
curl -O http://vault.centos.org/7.1.1503/os/Source/SPackages/kernel-3.10.0-229.el7.src.rpm
sudo yum-builddep kernel-3.10.0-229.el7.src.rpm
rpmdev-setuptree
rpm -ivh kernel-3.10.0-229.el7.src.rpm
cp /opt/intel/opencl/kernel-3.10.0-229.patch ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/linux-kernel-test.patch
perl -p -i.bak -e 's/^# % (.*?buildid ).*/%\1.intel.sr1/' ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/kernel.spec
rpmbuild -bb --with firmware --without debug --without debuginfo --without perf --without tools ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/kernel.spec
sudo rpm -ivh --oldpackage ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64/kernel-3.10.0-229.el7.centos.intel.sr1.x86_64.rpm
sudo /sbin/shutdown -r now
sudo rpm -ivh intel-opencl-1.2-devel-1.0-47971.x86_64.rpm
sudo yum install gcc-c++ make mesa-libGL-devel

What more do I need to do?  I downloaded an untargzed MediaServerStudioEssentials2015R6.tar.gz.  I found a maze of .tar.gz files, but the readme makes no mention of libfmx.  Am I in the right place?.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  What is "Media Server Studio"?  Do I need it?  What is "Essentials Edition"?  Do I need it?  All I want is HW accelerated h.264 decoding.

Thank you,

Chris

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Hi Chris,

You're in the right place. Documentation for install can be found in the Getting Started Guide.

Here is where to find it:

$ tar -xzf MediaServerStudio*.tar.gz
$ cd MediaServerStudio*
$ tar -xzf SDK*.tar.gz
$ ls media_server_studio_getting_started_guide.pdf

When you install Media Server Studio, you're putting a validated stack of updates in place to build applications using the Media SDK interface.  All of them need to be in place for your application to link to the libmfx dispatcher and run.

• libmfx.a dispatcher (the API your application can use)
  • libmfxhw64.so hardware implementation
  • related libraries (including OpenCL)
  • libva and libdrm updates
  • user mode driver
  • modified i915 graphics driver module 
  • kernel patches

Media SDK is a full featured cross platform interface for decode, frame processing, and encode. For Linux specific HW accelerated decode through vaapi/libva the regular stack works just fine (and is already integrated into common frameworks like FFmpeg).  Media SDK/Media Server Studio is there for building HW accelerated pipelines beyond simple decode or if you may ever need to develop media code for multiple OSes. 

Hope this helps,

Jeff

0 Kudos