Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

m_pmfxDEC->DecodeFrameAsync returns MFX_ERR_UNKNOWN

Donald_G_
Beginner
I have an application that was is working fine with the previous Media SDK. Now I am trying to port it to INDE 2015. When m_pmfxDEC->DecodeFrameAsync() runs the first time, it returns MFX_ERR_UNKNOWN. I have been told by someone that changes are required to run existing apps (sounds bad not to have backward compatibility for a library, but OK). Can someone point me to a document telling me how to port existing apps to INDE, or otherwise advise me? Thank you.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

No changes should be needed, as the Media SDK included in INDE is expected to be compatible with all previous API implementations. n (No "porting" is expected to be required).

Is you application requesting a specific API version during MFXInit? and is it <= to the MediaSDK that application was built with?

If you can collect a 'tracer' log using tracer.exe from C:\Intel\INDE\media_sdk\tools\mediasdk_tracer we may be able to determine what is causing this issue, as you may have uncovered an unexpected compatibility concern.

THANKS 

0 Kudos
Donald_G_
Beginner

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I use mfxVersion ver = {1, 1} and I have rebuilt the application with INDE 2015 update 1. Is this OK?

I will try to get the tracer log for you.

0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

OK, should be interesting to see log.  It definitely should be OK (and many/most of our samples use similar).  I assume we'll find something that makes sense once we see info.  For example OS version, HW, etc.

THANKS

0 Kudos
Donald_G_
Beginner

I have attached the log (I hope). Thank you, Tony.

0 Kudos
Donald_G_
Beginner

OS is win8.1 64-bit
HW is i7-4770

0 Kudos
Donald_G_
Beginner

Tony, did you get a chance to look at the log? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Donald_G_
Beginner

Is there any hope to get an answer, or are you just going to blow me off?

0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Looking at the log i see system has NVIDIA graphics (GeForce GT 620) as well as Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600.  I know there have been updates for multi-adapter configurations and tests were run, but I do not know about this specific configuration.

I see that the graphics drivers (and Media SDK platform HW implementation) being used are not the latest. 

Can you provide the output of the C:\Intel\INDE\media_sdk\tools\mediasdk_sys_analyzer\mediasdk_system_analyzer_32.exe tool?

Can you update your Intel Graphics Drivers to a newer version?, available here:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProdId=3720 

The error you are seeing is definitely related to the newer MSDK dispatcher (in the application) not being able to find/use the Intel graphics device.

Are you able to reproduce any issue on the system when using the sample programs (available here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/media-client-solutions-support/code-samples) ?

THANKS!

0 Kudos
Donald_G_
Beginner

Thank you, Tony, for your helpful response.

After I installed the driver version you linked everything is working for me now. I will check with the users of my application to see if they find the same, and I will post again if there are any further issues. We greatly appreciate your support.

0 Kudos
Donald_G_
Beginner

The users are all happy now, so this issue can be considered closed. Thank you, Tony, for your expert help.

0 Kudos