Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

max # of H/W decoders ?

SOh8
Beginner

My system is:
Sandy Bridge i3-2100
6GB RAM (note that I use 32-bit OS)
Win7 32bit
ASUS P8H61-M LE

I'm using MSDK 2.0 and I cannot create more than 32 decoderswith H/W acceleration
all streams are 704*576 (but everything is fine withMFX_IMPL_SOFTWARE)

33th call of MFXVideoDECODE_Init() functionfails withMFX_ERR_MEMORY_ALLOC (-4).

I think the problem iscaused by insufficientVRAMor limitation of MSDK 2.0, isn't it?

Thank for advance

p.s.
now I found that, for 1920*1080p streams, # of H/W decoders are limited up to 12..

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Hi diskerr,

This is a well known limitation related to the amount of available graphics memory using a 32 bit OS (this not a limitation of the Media SDK). If you run the same workload using a 64 bit binary on a 64 bit OS you will not encounter this limitation unless you apply a much larger set of concurrent streams.

Note that due to the nature of DirectX status codes that Media SDK receives internally the SDK cannot always determine that the issue is lack of memory (MFX_ERR_MEMORY_ALLOC) so sometimes you may get other error status codes, when reaching the memory limit, indicating failure that may seem confusing (currently there is no way around this).

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos