Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

memcpy alternative in intel media sdk?

boukhalfa__zakaria

The intel IPP contains a memcpy alternative. Why is there no alternative for this in the intel media sdk?

Does it make sense to use it anyway in a h264 decoder? I saw in the samples that the "normal" std::memcpy are used.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Anna_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Zack,

If you are doing only hardware-accelerated h264 decoding on GPU, it's better to use the video memory. If you additionally want to do some work on CPU you, we recommend to use system memory. So you don't need to copy something by yourself.

Best wishes,

Anna

0 Kudos
boukhalfa__zakaria

Okay, and when I do additional work on the CPU, why is the ipp memcpy not available via the media sdk API?

As far as I understand it is used internally by the SDK.

0 Kudos
Anna_B_Intel
Employee

Yes, h264 decoder uses ipp. Media SDK has functionality for copying frames, memory is optimised inside it.

Best wishes,

Anna

0 Kudos
boukhalfa__zakaria

Hi Anna,

what function to you mean, can you post a link to the docu where it is described?

0 Kudos
Anna_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Zack,

For copying frames you can use VPP without any filters (just init it with the same input and output parameters). Also you can look at mfxExtVPPFieldProcessing structure. You can find more detailed information at the mediasdk-man.pdf.

Best wishes,

Anna

0 Kudos