Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

output bitrate changes on progressive/interlaced mixed stream

Alex_Y_
Beginner

Hello,

I'm trying to transcode some interlaced video (PicStruct = FIELD_TFF) which sometimes becomes progressive for a couple of seconds (PicStruct = PROGRESSIVE | FIELD_TFF). At the moment of picture struct change (FIELD_TFF changes to PROGRESSIVE | FIELD_TFF) the encoder output bitrate changes to ~0.5x of target bitrate. And if the encoder was initialized at PROGRESSIVE | FIELD_TFF fragment, the bitrate goes upto 2x of target bitrate when the picture struct changes to FIELD_TFF. The issue appears at H264 encoder on High Profile only.

For now as a workaround I'm just closing the encoder after an SPS change and initializing it again. Is it expected behaviour of the h264 HW HP encoder or am I missed something?

I'm using slightly modified sample_multi_transcode example, Ivy bridge, 9.18.10.3165 driver, win7 x64, media sdk 2013R2

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alex_Y_
Beginner

attaching sdk tracer log for more details

0 Kudos
Nina_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Alex,

Thank you for reporting the issue and getting the tracer log, we will investigate and get back to you. Would it be possible to additionally share the stream with picture structure change? (e.g. via ftp.intel.com)

Thanks,

Nina

0 Kudos
Alex_Y_
Beginner

Hi Nina,

Thank you for the prompt reply. The file name is pub/incoming/out_cut.ts

0 Kudos
Nina_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Alex,

I'm sorry - files are stored on ftp for only 24 hours and I didn't expect you'd upload so fast on Friday :) Could you please reupload?

Thanks much,

Nina

0 Kudos
Alex_Y_
Beginner

Hi Nina,

no problem, file name is the same - pub/incoming/out_cut.ts

0 Kudos
Nina_K_Intel
Employee

Thanks Alex, I got the file.

Nina