Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

question about install mediaseerverstudio

MyMother
Beginner

hello Intel-giant

I have several questions as below, please help to clarify. Thanks

Q1.   I try to install mediaserverstudio with R7 on linux, And I found the windows link is MediaServerStudioessentials2015r7.exe,

but the linux link is mediaserverstudioessentials2015r6.tar.gz. Is there something wrong with the file on website ??

Q2.  I referred to the URL(https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-to-setup-media-server-studio-on-secondary-os-of-linux?language=de),

and download MSS R6 for linux, When I go to the following step, I didn't find the install_media_ubuntu.sh but install_media.sh. Is there

some wrong with the data on Website??

4. How to setup MSS on Ubuntu* 14.04 LTB

4.1 Install Generic driver with script install_media_ubuntu.sh instead of install_media.sh

[root@host] # ./install_media_ubuntu.sh      ## refer to 9.1 in the document

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Medwin, 

I try to install mediaserverstudio with R7 on linux, And I found the windows link is MediaServerStudioessentials2015r7.exe,
but the linux link is mediaserverstudioessentials2015r6.tar.gz. Is there something wrong with the file on website ??
>>> There has been only windows launch for Media Server Studio 2015 R7 and there has been no launch fox Linux OS. The reason it points to Linux release 2015R6 is to show that is the last up to date for Linux. I understand this is not very clear in the emails, we hope to make it more clear in our future releases on the Intel registration emails and the website.  

I referred to the URL(https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-to-setup-media-server-stud...), and download MSS R6 for linux, When I go to the following step, I didn't find the install_media_ubuntu.sh but install_media.sh. Is there some wrong with the data on Website??
>>Can you provide system details on which you are installing Media Server Studio - Processor info and OS
You need to make install_media_ubuntu.sh , refer to section 9 in the article, it already provides what need to written in the installation script. Only thing that package doesn't come with script. 

Thanks,
Surbhi

P.S. : I am moving your question to Media forum - https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk ;
Please start a new thread there whenever you have queries on Media products in future. 

0 Kudos
MyMother
Beginner

Hi Surbhi-Giant,

>>> There has been only windows launch for Media Server Studio 2015 R7 and there has been no launch fox Linux OS. The reason it points to Linux release 2015R6 is to show that is the last up to date for Linux.

==> Many thanks for your info.

>>Can you provide system details on which you are installing Media Server Studio - Processor info and OS
You need to make install_media_ubuntu.sh , refer to section 9 in the article, it already provides what need to written in the installation script. Only thing that package doesn't come with script.

==> processor: i54570S, OS: ubuntu 12.04.

The provided article link is the same as the one I referred, and I didn't find install_media_ubuntu.sh. Any idea?? Thanks

[intel-linux-media-ocl_generic_16.4.2.1-39163_64bit] $ ls -l
total 532
drwxrwxr-x 5 dspuser dspuser   4096 Jun 11 08:31 etc
-rwxrwxr-x 1 dspuser dspuser  10556 Jun 19 09:19 install_media.sh
drwxr-xr-x 3 dspuser dspuser   4096 Jun 18 07:50 intel-linux-media-patches-39163
-rw-r--r-- 1 dspuser dspuser 466074 Jun 18 07:56 intel-linux-media-patches-39163.tar.gz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 dspuser dspuser   8368 Jun 11 08:31 intel-opencl-1.2-16.4.tar.gz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 dspuser dspuser   1372 Jun  5 11:19 intel-opencl-1.2-release-notes.txt
drwxrwxr-x 3 dspuser dspuser   4096 Jun 11 08:22 opt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 dspuser dspuser  30162 Apr 24  2015 setup_inspector.py
drwxrwxr-x 6 dspuser dspuser   4096 Jun 11 08:32 usr

[intel-linux-media-ocl_generic_16.4.2.1-39163_64bit] $ pwd
/home/dspuser/Downloads/IntellMediaSDK/MediaServerStudioEssentials2015R6/SDK2015Production16.4.2.1/Generic/intel-linux-media-ocl_generic_16.4.2.1-39163_64bit

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hi Medwin - The document referred to above have been updated recently and the install steps are more clear now - https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-to-setup-media-server-studio-on-secondary-os-of-linux?language=de

In Section 3 where we refer to the ubuntu install script, we also say that you can find the script in section 7.1 of the document.

1. Install Generic driver with script install_media_ubuntu.sh instead of install_media.sh

[root@host] # ./install_media_ubuntu.sh      ## refer to 7.1 in the document

So, you will find the install_media_ubuntu.sh script in Section 7.1. For your ease, I am pasting the contents of this script that is listed in sec 7.1.

#!/bin/bash

echo "Modify file for ubuntu ..."
find -name "*.pc" | xargs sed -i 's|lib64|lib/x86_64-linux-gnu|g'

# if using MSS version less than R6, please uncomment this.
#sed -i 's|lib64|lib/x86_64-linux-gnu|g' etc/OpenCL/vendors/intel.icd

echo "Remove old MSS install files ..."
sudo rm -rf /opt/intel/mediasdk
sudo rm -rf /opt/intel/common
sudo rm -rf /opt/intel/opencl

# remove old libdrm and libva
find /usr -name "libdrm*" | xargs sudo rm -rf
find /usr -name "libva*" | xargs sudo rm -rf

echo "Install MSS files ..."
sudo cp -rdf opt/* /opt/
sudo cp -rdf etc/* /etc/

sudo cp -rdf usr/bin/*     /usr/bin/
sudo cp -rdf usr/include/* /usr/include/
sudo cp -rdf usr/lib64/*   /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
sudp cp -rdf usr/share/*   /usr/share

echo "Install finished, please reboot ..."
0 Kudos
MyMother
Beginner

Hi Sravanthi, 

Many thanks for your reply.  And I have more questions as below

Q1. I download examples from http://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/mediasdk-tutorials-0.0.3.tar.gz and found several examples about decode/encode but display. My question is "Does Media Server Studio only support improving video decode,encode, pre/post-processing without display? "

Q2. I try the above example and the messages were shown below, did you know why the SW's performance is better than HW's ? Is there anything I misunderstand?

[_build] $ pwd
/home/dspuser/Downloads/mediasdk-tutorials-0.0.3/_build
[_build] $ !2012
./simple_decode  -sw test_stream.264  sw_out.yuv
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: User requested driver 'iHD'
libva info: Trying to open /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_32
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
Frame number: 101
Execution time: 0.05 s (2089.93 fps)  =>   SW performance
[_build] $ !2013
./simple_decode  -hw test_stream.264  hw_out.yuv
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: User requested driver 'iHD'
libva info: Trying to open /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_32
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
Frame number: 101
Execution time: 0.10 s (998.06 fps)   =>   HW performance
[_build] $

0 Kudos
Alexey_F_Intel
Employee

Hi Medwin, first of all benchmarking on so short & low resolution fragment is not a trustable data. you should try longer sequence or higher resolution to rely on it.

You may try also to compare "decode-only" speed with disabled rendering and disabled file writing to estimate real speed to be achieved in your end usage.

You also should keep in mind:  HW decoder transfers uncompressed frames from video memory to system memory when you write decoded data to a file. this transfer is not free. when you use HW for playback or transcoding this transfer will not happen and no penalty. In case of hardware pipeline decoder downstreams uncompressed frame to blitter or encoder not involving memory copy.

0 Kudos