Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

sample_decode.exe -hw can't work in Media SDK 2012 32/64bit installation on win7 64bit system

PAUL_Y_Intel
Employee

This is the command line:

sample_decode.exe h264 -i sample.h264 -o sample_hw.yuv -hw

There are three environments under test:

1. Media SDK 2012 32bit installation on Win7 32bit system.

2. Media SDK 2012 32bit installation on win7 64bit system.

3. Media SDK 2012 64bit installation on win7 64bit system.

The hardware decode testcase works on case (1), but it fail in case (2) and case (3).

Return on error:error code -3, pipeline_decode.cpp line 388.

it is MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED from MFXInit.

By the way, software decode in all 3 cases are all ok by following command line:

sample_decode.exe h264 -i sample.h264 -o sample_sw.yuv

System:

Intel i5-2515E with 8GB RAM

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32/64 bit english

Intel Media SDK 2012 build 3.0.014 Gold

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Eric_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Can you try an update the graphics driver on the failing systems? The hardware support is packaged with the drivers, and it looks like sample_decode cannot find the DLL.

Thanks

Eric

0 Kudos
PAUL_Y_Intel
Employee
Dear Eric,

I've exhausted all Window updates, can you specify thename and version of these DLLs used in decoding scenario in 32/64 bit installations on 64-bit win7 systems? Thanks a lot!

Br,
Paul
0 Kudos
Eric_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Paul,

I am sorry but I learned just recently that the drivers on Windows update do not carry the Intel Media SDK in the package. Instead, I would recommend downloading them via downloadcenter.intel.com.

The DLL that sample_decode is searching for should be located in this location: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\Media SDK\s1\2.0 (or something similar depending on your platform and version)

The sample is using the standard dispatching process. Its checking [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel\MediaSDK\Dispatch\hw64-s1-1] to see the location

Of the DLL, then loads it. Please verify the path and registry keys are present, if they are not then please download and install the driver off intel.com.

Thanks

-Eric

0 Kudos
PAUL_Y_Intel
Employee
Hi Eric,

This is really useful information. For my current MediaSDK 2012 installation, neither the registry key nor the DLL fileexist in 64-bit windows 7 system.But they did exist in 32-bit Windows 7 system. This explains the HW decode works on 32-bit system but can't work on 64-bit system.

Then on the 64-bit Windows system. I uninstall MediaSDK 2012 and re-install all MediaSDKreleases I collected {2.0 Gold,3.0beta 3, 2012, 2012 R2 } x {32-bit msi, 64-bit msi }, from the oldest release on. And in each run I check out the existence of both the registry key and the DLL file. No, they never appears....

Then on the same HW, I useclean 32-bit Windows 7 system to install 2.0 Gold. At the first time the registry key and the DLL appear.

I tested 32-bitMediaSDK on 32-bit system since Sep/2011.Maybe I'd better startedtesting 64-bit version earlier.

Thanks
Paul
0 Kudos