Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

sample_encode source doesn't work for i7-3820

Christopher_D_
Beginner

I downloaded the Media SDK 2013.

This comes with a precompiled app that is called Intel Media SDK Browser.

Through this, you can access sample_encode.exe

This encodes the test_stream.yuv into res.264. This can be played with the sample media player - GUI player app - through the SDK browser. No problems here. It shows a low resolution river for a few seconds.

Now, import the sample_encode solution to VS2010, compile, run with the exact same command line arguments that the example used, get a .264 file out. Play that file. It is smeared garbage.

I am running windows7 64bit, and have a i7-3820QM, so it is working in SW only.

Anybody else see this or know how to fix it?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The sample code should produce equivalent binary 'sample_encode.exe' if no source code is modified. 

One way to debug what may be different is to use the 'tracer.exe' found in the <installdir>\tools\mediasdk_tracer folder to capture logs of the two applications and compare.

Also, I do not understand you comment about "SW only'.  The application defaults to using only software.  To use the hardware capabilities of your platform, you can use the "-hw" option and observe the code path this effects.

-Tony

0 Kudos
Christopher_D_
Beginner

You were right, it was my mistake. The sample_encode seems to only be able to handle very specific output dimensions correctly. The one the precanned package has is 176x96. If I switch that to 176x90, bad things happen. Is that a limitation of the program, or something fundamental I don't understand about the formats?

0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Hi,  it depends on how you 'swtich that'.

The surface data is not stored as complete/packed pixels.  The data is 'planar' and contains 'luminance' for the full surface followed by 'chrominance'.  In this case the .yuv files has a 'Y' plane of 176x96 pixels followed by U and V, so you can not use the same data as a different size.

Also, video encoding requires some limits and the mfxFrameInfo structure needs to be filled out with correct/usable alignments.  The actual 'video' content may be smaller using the 'crop' feature.  For example 1080p content must be encoded with a height of 1088.

Coded width and height of the video frame in pixels; Width must be a multiple of 16. Height must be a multiple of 16 for progressive frame sequence and a multiple of 32 otherwise.

-Tony

0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Hi,  it depends on how you 'swtich that'.

The surface data is not stored as complete/packed pixels.  The data is 'planar' and contains 'luminance' for the full surface followed by 'chrominance'.  In this case the .yuv files has a 'Y' plane of 176x96 pixels followed by U and V, so you can not use the same data as a different size.

Also, video encoding requires some limits and the mfxFrameInfo structure needs to be filled out with correct/usable alignments.  The actual 'video' content may be smaller using the 'crop' feature.  For example 1080p content must be encoded with a height of 1088.

Coded width and height of the video frame in pixels; Width must be a multiple of 16. Height must be a multiple of 16 for progressive frame sequence and a multiple of 32 otherwise.

-Tony

0 Kudos