Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

sample_vpp mfxSession.Init fails with MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED for version 1.3

RyanS
New Contributor I
I'm trying to run the (unchanged) sample_vpp and mfxSession.Init is failing with MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED. Here's a bit of the code:

mfxVersion version = {3, 1}; // as this version of sample demonstrates the new DOUSE structure used to turn on VPP filters
sts = pProcessor->mfxSession.Init(impl, &version); // impl == 2 (HW)

Both the 32 and 64 bit builds fail. Both the Intel pre-built executables and my own executables fail in the same way. Here is my setup:
- Windows 7 x64 SP1
- Core i5 2500K CPU
- Media SDK 2012 Beta5 (and Beta 4 also fails this way)
- Graphics driver: Win7Vista_64_152252 (8.15.10.2559)(and 152250 also fails this way)

If I change the requested version to 1.1 or 1.0 then session init succeeds (also with HW impl).

What am I missing to be able to use 1.3?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Hi,

HW acceleration for API 1.3 is only available on next generation Intel platform that is scheduled to be released early next year. The 1.3 API and Media SDK 2012 (formerly 3.0) is aligned with this platform launch. So in essence, when platform launches, there will also be a corresponding graphics driver available that exposes HW acceleration via 1.3 API.

In the meantime please use SW implementation of 1.3 API, or in case the feature you are interested in is part of the 1.1 API then you can use HW acceleration without issues on current generation platforms.

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos