Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

share opaque memery in 1 to N transcode pipeline

Leo_Z_
Beginner

Hi all,

i'm working on a project need to do 1 to N transcoding for hls ABR stream,  transcoding the 1080i source stream to three output stream: 1280p+720p+480p. The pipeline would be: 

pipeline_0.png

And i'm trying to use the opaque system, but in my test it not worked, could not be simple shared by other pipeline as sharing system memery .

How can i share the output surface of DecodeFrameAsync between three vpp_enc pipeline? is there any code sample i can use for reference?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Leo, 

Can you please let us know your hardware you are planning to deploy this pipeline on? In general, you should be able to keep the entire pipeline sharing video memory instead of opaque memory. The pipeline you have indicated above can be set using sample_multi_transcode where you can set 1:N or N:N transcode pipeline. sample_multi_transcode is part of sample package, which can be downloaded from here

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
Leo_Z_
Beginner

Hi Surbhi,

sorry for the delay.

I'm planning to deplay this pipeline using MSS version 2015R6 on centos 7.1 with cpus Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5650U.

I had worked out a simple pipeline which integrated with ffmpeg for demuxin/muxing job then decode/vpp/encode the input frames using media sdk. it works well on. I was reference to mediasdk-tutorials-0.0.3 for simple transcode pipeline, and using iopattern opaque memery.

But failed when i created a second session for 1:N pipeline, 

session_1: input_bitstream --> decode --> vpp_enc --> output_1_bitstream

session_2: output frameSurface of session_1_decode --> vpp_enc --> output_2_bitstream.

I looked into the sample_multi_transcode, found it was so complexed and i can't figure out how to do this pipeline.

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Leo, 

We have an internal application which is a simplified version of 1:N pipeline, let me check if we can share that with you. In the meantime, can you provide the exact problem where you see failure with reproducer we can try to help you fix some of the bottlenecks after looking into your application.

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
Leo_Z_
Beginner

Hi Surbhi

Thanks for you replay.

I was just doing a test, created two joined session, session 1 for decode-vpp-encode, session 2 for vpp-enc. pass the mfxFrameSurface1 returned by function DecodeFrameAsync to RunFrameVPPAsync(session 1)-EncodeFrameAsync(session 1)-SyncOperation(session 1), then pass the same mfxFrameSurface1 t0 RunFrameVPPAsync(session 2)-EncodeFrameAsync(session 2)-SyncOperation(session 2), not consider the transcode performance yet. the problem is the output of session 2 was blank.

I'm working on the multi_transcode_sample now, hopefully i can figure it out.

I would appreciate that If there are a simplified version of 1:N pipeline code sample.

Best Regards

0 Kudos