Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

software impl not supported in linux sdk?

Yu_B_
Beginner

hi, all,

I'm testing linux sdk on virtual machine with ubuntu, however, MFXInit() will return -3, strace reported libmfxsw64.so not found.

Where could I get libmfxsw64.so or it's not supported on linux sdk?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Media SDK for Linux does not include a software implementation for many reasons.  There is no option to get it.   If your goal is to evaluate several configurations of Media SDK for Linux, one of my favorite approaches is to create "live" installations with remastersys.  It is not the same as hardware virtualization with the ability to run multiple VMs simultaneously, but it does allow some features of VMs like snapshots or migrating environments to different hardware.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Media SDK for Linux does not include a software implementation for many reasons.  There is no option to get it.   If your goal is to evaluate several configurations of Media SDK for Linux, one of my favorite approaches is to create "live" installations with remastersys.  It is not the same as hardware virtualization with the ability to run multiple VMs simultaneously, but it does allow some features of VMs like snapshots or migrating environments to different hardware.

0 Kudos
Yu_B_
Beginner

Thank you! I just want test media sdk API before the hardware is ready.

So will the SW impl be included in future version of linux sdk? I've read through "readme-dispatcher-linux.pdf", it does mentioned libmfxsw64.so.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

There are no plans to include a SW implementation for Linux.  However, this feedback will be useful for future planning.   

Would something like this work for you?

• Preview/test new features in Windows (when there is feature overlap)
  • Software plugins wrapping 3rd party SW implementations of codecs for portability

Regards, Jeff 

0 Kudos