Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

system32\libvpl.dll

BMart1
New Contributor II

Hi,

Both the Windows video drivers and oneAPI install libvpl.dll. Are both versions equivalent? Can I depend on future drivers including libvpl.dll? Drivers for old broadwell? Should I distribute it with my app?

Bruno

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities. Below are the answers for each of your questions:

>> Are both versions equivalent?

Ans.: The driver and open-source repository of oneVPL do not have the same versions of the libvpl.dll. Open-source has the latest development while driver packages are delayed by weeks/months. 

>> Can I depend on future drivers including libvpl.dll?

Ans. : For all the drivers of pre-Xe (pre-Gen 12) hardware distribution of libvpl.dll file to the end user with the app is necessary. For the Xe (Gen12) and future hardware, the driver has everything needed to run oneVPL apps. (For Windows the driver is delivered as a monolithic package, for Linux packages are installed separately) 

The oneAPI packages are intended to be a developer kit -- include files, samples, tools, etc. They should be installed for local development but are not needed for shipping to end users.

>>Drivers for old broadwell? Should I distribute it with my app?

Ans. : For the broadwell, it would be necessary to distribute libvpl.dll with the app.

Regards,

Alekhya

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities. Below are the answers for each of your questions:

>> Are both versions equivalent?

Ans.: The driver and open-source repository of oneVPL do not have the same versions of the libvpl.dll. Open-source has the latest development while driver packages are delayed by weeks/months. 

>> Can I depend on future drivers including libvpl.dll?

Ans. : For all the drivers of pre-Xe (pre-Gen 12) hardware distribution of libvpl.dll file to the end user with the app is necessary. For the Xe (Gen12) and future hardware, the driver has everything needed to run oneVPL apps. (For Windows the driver is delivered as a monolithic package, for Linux packages are installed separately) 

The oneAPI packages are intended to be a developer kit -- include files, samples, tools, etc. They should be installed for local development but are not needed for shipping to end users.

>>Drivers for old broadwell? Should I distribute it with my app?

Ans. : For the broadwell, it would be necessary to distribute libvpl.dll with the app.

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for accepting our solution. If you need any further assistance, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos