Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

undefined symbol: drm_intel_gem_bo_unmap_wc

Arseniy_S_
Beginner

Hello.

I'm trying to use hardware HEVC encoder of i5-7300HQ through FFMpeg 3.3.3 on GNU/Linux 4.12.4. Have MediaServerStudioEssentials2017R3 installed.

quicksync-video-ffmpeg-install-valid.pdf tells, that I need to load iHD libva driver. However, it seems to be incompatible with current i915 (or what?):

user@host ~ % LIBVA_DRIVERS_PATH=/opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64 LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=iHD vainfo 
libva info: VA-API version 0.40.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: User requested driver 'iHD'
libva info: Trying to open /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/iHD_drv_video.so
libva error: dlopen of /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/iHD_drv_video.so failed: /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/iHD_drv_video.so: undefined symbol: drm_intel_gem_bo_unmap_wc
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit

It's intersting, that open-source i965 libva driver does show something I interpret as support for HEVC encoding:

VAProfileHEVCMain               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain10             :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain10             :	VAEntrypointEncSlice

So, my question is: why I'm not able to use hardware HEVC encoding? Non-4.4 kernel? Kaby Lake CPU? Or something else is wrong in the system (or SDK)?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Arseniy,

The Media Server Studio doesn't support Kaby Lake processors, you can check the following URL for the detail:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk/topic/735307

Let me know if you have further questions.

Mark

0 Kudos
Arseniy_S_
Beginner

So, how we are supposed to use HEVC hardware encoding on Kaby Lake CPUs? Via VA-API?

0 Kudos
Arseniy_S_
Beginner

The answer is "Yes".

If anyone is intersted - see https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Hardware/VAAPI.

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Yes, you can still use open source kernel/VAAPI to use the HEVC encoding.

Mark

0 Kudos