Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

vaInitialize failed and errors while running sample_decode

Sam1
Beginner

Hi,

I have built Intel Media SDK in Ubuntu 16.04 after patching the kernel as given in "http://docs.unified-streaming.com/documentation/capture/media-sdk.html#linux".

When I enter vainfo this is what I get:

libva info: VA-API version 0.99.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: User requested driver 'iHD'
libva info: Trying to open /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_32
DRM_IOCTL_I915_GEM_APERTURE failed: Invalid argument
Assuming 131072kB available aperture size.
May lead to reduced performance or incorrect rendering.
get chip id failed: -1 [22]
param: 4, val: 0
libva error: /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/iHD_drv_video.so init failed
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 18
vaInitialize failed with error code 18 (invalid parameter),exit

When I run sample_decode, it gives this error:

[ERROR], sts=MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED(-3), Init, m_mfxSession.Init failed at msdk/samples/sample_decode/src/pipeline_decode.cpp:285

The processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400. Ubuntu 16.04 is run on VMware

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Anna_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Nihadh, 

Make sure that you loaded the proper Linux kernel. What's the output from "uname -r" command?

Best wishes, 

Anna

0 Kudos
Sam1
Beginner

Hi,

Output of uname -r:

This is the kernel that is required. Actually the problem was that I was running Intel Media SDK in VMware with Windows 10 host. I found out that virtual machines cannot access GPU especially when host is windows. That is why HW implementation failed. But why doesn't SW implementation work? I get the same error with SW implementation too.

Thanks

0 Kudos