Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

what difference between drm and x11?

zheng_s_
Beginner

I createa linux based app which use decode/encoder, from the example,I need create libva hardware handler and there are two options.  X11 or DRM. but what the difference between these options. for Haswell intel chipset, which is the best option?

BTW. what the minimum linux kernel version needed in order to support Mediasdk, We currnelty have  SLES development machine and 3.0.93 kernel.. does it too old to support Mediasdk full feature?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

In almost all cases you want DRM, not X11.  The X11 option requires an active X session, and is not suitable for headless operation.  The only reason to use X11 is for local rendering, but this is not well tested or optimized since the focus is on server use cases.  In future releases (including the new R3 beta) there have been some updates to the stack so this question is no longer necessary in the installer.  

For kernel levels, today requirements are quite specific.  There are only a few supported configurations.  More info is in the release notes and install guides.

For 4th Generation Core/HSW:
  * Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS: 3.8.0-23-generic (via apt-get)
  * SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 11, service pack 3: 3.0.76-0.11-default

It is well understood that this needs to become more flexible, with better support for more advanced kernels, building your own i915 module, etc.  This is a work in progress, so please stay tuned.

0 Kudos
Artem
Beginner

Jeffrey,

how to get the R3 Beta for Linux Servers? I have purchased the Linux Server SDK, but the R3 Beta version is not available in the download options.

Thanks, Artem

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Sorry for the delay in getting the release updated.  Checking on options to get this out ASAP.  I'll update as soon as there is news.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

The R3 beta has been added to the download area.  Please let us know if you have any difficulties accessing it. 

0 Kudos