Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

A strange error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi ! 

When I exactly follow the 《Nios II Hardware Development Tutorial》 to the end of adding contants ( page 1-23 ) , a strange error say " Error: System.cpu: Nios II debug module requires a clock frequency of at least 20 MHz " . 

But my clock setting is just set to 20 MHz . 

What's the problem ?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try 50 MHz - usually safe

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I set to 20 MHz because my oscillator on development board is 20 MHz . 

Seems I need to use pll to rise the frequency ? 

But the tutorial say "The 

frequency you specify for clk_0 must match the oscillator that drives the FPGA."
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That's an error, it should say it must match the clock signal driving the cpu. 

We run the Nios through a PLL all the time. So bumping to 40 , 60, 80, or 100 MHz should be no problem from your 20 MHz source. 

Just for grins I would just switch the setting to 20.1 MHz and see if it builds. I never hit that before, but it sounds like someone in the software land should have had made it the limit >= instead of just >. 

Pete