Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

A10 HPS not booting from micro SD card - NRST pulsing

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have a custom A10 prototype PCB, and I'm trying to bring up the HPS. I am building the preloader/uboot using the BSP-Editor and writing the output to a partition on a micro sdcard (same process I've done on the dev kit many times with success). I never get anything from the UART console output, so I'm attempting to debug what's happening. I have noticed the HPS_NRST signal is pulsing low continuously when there is a micro SD card installed (otherwise it stays HIGH all the time with no SD card plugged in). Any ideas on what is happening, or how to debug a preloader /u-boot that's not coming up initially? Can I get access to the HPS registers to see why it won't come up? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If the NRST is pulsing, it is probably caused by the Boot ROM not being able find a boot image, thus the watchdog will just wait and then issues a reset. If you have a JTAG connection, you can use a debugger (such as DS-5), loads the uboot directly onto the on-chip RAM (you can use the .ds script that was generated). If this is successful (meaning, uboot is able to run) you probably need to double check your hardware

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How are you getting uboot on the sdcard? I'm having trouble finding documentation for this, for my Alaric dev kit. I have the uboot binary image; I just need to put it in the sd card which already has root filesystem. 

thanks
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am able to program my .sof file through JTAG and when SD card has the HPS related binary files(u-boot generated by BSP editor). I am able to see that HPS DDR is calibrated successfully.  

But when i convert the .sof into .rbf and load it along with the u boot files, my final state is 

emif_reset interrupt is acknowledged (appears 3 times) 

and hence HPS DDR calibration fails. 

How do I debug this issue?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am able to program my .sof file through JTAG and when SD card has the HPS related binary files(u-boot generated by BSP editor). I am able to see that HPS DDR is calibrated successfully.  

But when i convert the .sof into .rbf and load it along with the u boot files, my final state is 

emif_reset interrupt is acknowledged (appears 3 times) 

and hence HPS DDR calibration fails. 

How do I debug this issue? 

--- Quote End ---  

Can you load the FPGA manually during uboot stage? 

We're still trying to get uboot to come up. We have a non-standard uboot process which works when we put it on the dev kit QSPI, but so far hasn't worked when putting it on the sd card.