Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12434 Discussions

ARM DS-5 Remote Linux Debugging - Failed to connect to the device

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I am trying to debug a simple hello world user space level application on an ARM board running a custom flavor of Linux. Gdbserver has been installed on the board, and the RSE is able to connect successfully and browse the filesystem.  

I have created a new debug configuration ( DS-5 Debugger -> Altera -> Cyclone V SOC (Dual Core) -> Linux Application Debug -> Download and debug application ), pointing to my RSE connection. When I try to start the debug, I get the following message: 

Unable to connect to New_configuration 

Reason: 

Failed to connect to the device 

Invalid host. 

The hostid of this system does not match the hostid specified in the license file 

Feature: altera_ds_debugger_gdbserver 

Hostid: [host id] 

The host Id printed in the message is the correct host id for my development machine, not the target ARM machine I am trying to debug the code on. 

Does anyone see anything immediately wrong with what I am doing? 

Thanks, 

Nick
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

By the way, is this an hello world example from one of the design guide?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

your file system store in the SD card? that with a SSH connection enabled? .

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a very strong feeling this is some thing to do wit your license, as the fasted test, simply just debug a hello world example.. see if this error still happens,