cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

AUtomating a workspace build from command line

Hi folks, 

We do a lot of customer releases and core testing, so I developed a script which builds my qsys system, implements the software, and runs the quartus compile. 

If I or my customers need to change any of the firmware, they can become stuck because the script doesn't properly create a nios workspace. When you go to open the workspace folder in eclipse, the workspace is empty and nothing can be imported. 

Here is my code. Please suggest how I can integrate creating a nios eclipse workspace into this flow: 

# generate the qsys system echo "**** Generating The QSYS System ****" qsys-generate system.qsys --synthesis=VERILOG --simulation=VERILOG # create the nios blank project echo "**** Creating The NIOS Eclipse Project ****" nios2-swexample-create --sopc-file=./system.sopcinfo --type=blank_project --elf-name=app_standalone.elf --app-dir=software/app_standalone --bsp-dir=software/app_standalone_bsp # copy the software files echo "**** Copying Source Files ****" find firmware/ -type f -name '*.c' -exec cp --target-directory=software/app_standalone {} \; find firmware/ -type f -name '*.h' -exec cp --target-directory=software/app_standalone {} \; # generates the bsp pushd software/app_standalone_bsp/ echo "**** Creating BSP ****" create-this-bsp --cpu-name nios2_qsys_0 --no-make popd # change linker script here pushd software/app_standalone_bsp/ echo "**** Modifying Linker Script ****" more settings.bsp | sed "s/<regionName>onchip_memory2_1<\/regionName>/<regionName>onchip_memory2_0<\/regionName>/" > tmp_settings mv tmp_settings settings.bsp echo "**** Regenerating BSP ****" nios2-bsp-generate-files --bsp-dir . --settings settings.bsp# create-this-bsp --cpu-name nios2_qsys_0 --no-make popd # refresh app sources pushd software/app_standalone/ create-this-app --no-make echo "**** Refreshing Sources ****" nios2-app-update-makefile --list-src-files --app-dir . find . -type f -name '*.c' -exec nios2-app-update-makefile --app-dir . --add-src-files {} \; popd pushd software/app_standalone/ echo "**** Creating Elf ****" make all make mem_init_generate find mem_init/ -type f -name '*.hex' -exec cp --target-directory=../../system_sim {} \; popd echo "**** Running Quartus Implementation Flow ****" quartus_sh --64bit --flow compile project.qpf
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Maybe compile the code outside the IDE by just running the compiler and then the linker. 

It is probably easier than using the IDE at all.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thanks for the suggestion dsl. 

I ended up creating a second script: 

pushd software/app_standalone/ echo "**** Creating Elf ****" make all make mem_init_generate find mem_init/ -type f -name '*.hex' -exec cp --target-directory=../../system_sim {} \; popd echo "**** Running Quartus Implementation Flow ****" quartus_sh --64bit --flow compile project.qpf  

It works well enough for command line purposes. I actually do like the IDE because of syntax checking and macro expansion, but this will do for very quick and easy changes to a release.