Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

About Microtronix Linux's boot procedure..

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello everyone: 

I have questions about the boot procedure of Microtronix's Nios II linux distribution. 

1. Is there a bootloader?If yes,how does it work?Is there any document available about this topic? 

2.I want to create a root filesystem using just busybox,i followed the busybox section in the  

reference guide,now i am confused about the Busybox's "init" application.  

please tell me how to create proper "/etc/inittab" and "/etc/init.d/rcs" file for booting the 

Microtronix's linux refernce design built from quick start guide. 

Can i just copy the content of the original filesystem's "/etc/inittab" and "/etc/rc" to the busybox's 2 init files mentioned above respectively? 

thanks 

http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi trout, 

1. Microtronix&#39;s distribution has no bootloader, but someone have ported uboot to Nios II and posted it on this forum. You can have a search. 

2. An example inittab can be found in busybox/examples. And rcS is just an init script, I think you can copy the old rc file and have a try.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1. I think that there is a boot loader to load the kernel from flash into ram. It allows to execute the kernel code from ram. Also, the root file system is mounted into the ram... 

But I didn&#39;t find any information about boot loader. 

Christian
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Christian, 

Yes you are right, there is some bootstrap code to copy the kernel into ram from flash. I don&#39;t know if that is the kind of bootloader trout is thinking about. All it did is copying text and data into ram (as far as I know, root file system is not copied) and jump to the entry point...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I would like to have a confirmation about the root filesystem. The root filesystem is accessed from the flash or copied into the RAM? Where can I find the answer in the kernel source code (directory/source file). 

Best regards 

Christian
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The romfs is accessed from flash. You can check this file: 

drivers/mtd/maps/microtronix.c 

You can also make the /dev/hda1 (compact flash) as the root filesystem. Still no files are copied to ram. 

If you are using ramdisk as the root filesystem, they are in ram.
0 Kudos