Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Accessing USB Blaster on Windows 10 from Linux VDI

mjd001
Beginner

Hello,

I am currently working on a Quartus Project located on a secured Linux VDI. The VDI is on an enterprise server which I connect to from my Windows 10 PC. I need to access the FPGA using USB Blaster installed on the Windows 10 PC from Quartus on the Linux VDI. As well as programming the FPGA, I need to be able to debug its Nios II system . Does anyone know how to go about making this work? Any help or guidance would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

From your description, it seems like you would like to connect the FPGA with Quartus installed on a server remotely. You can do so, as long as the USB connected to FPGA is able to be detected in Quartus remotely. Then you can work on it.

Thank You

0 Kudos
mjd001
Beginner

Hi YuanLi

I did make some progress in identifying the issue. The guest VDI I am developing on needs access to the client (my laptop) USB port.  This article https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_virtualization/4.1/html/virtual_machine_management_guide/sect-configuring_usb_devices

describes how to allow this.

The reason I ran into this problem was my company's security policy on its remote Red Hat Enterprise server which hosts the development tools. Being off-site requires special permission.

Cheers,

Michael

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Understand. I am glad that it works now

Cheers

0 Kudos