Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12367 Discussions

Accessing USB Blaster on Windows 10 from Linux VDI

mjd001
Beginner

Hello,

I am currently working on a Quartus Project located on a secured Linux VDI. The VDI is on an enterprise server which I connect to from my Windows 10 PC. I need to access the FPGA using USB Blaster installed on the Windows 10 PC from Quartus on the Linux VDI. As well as programming the FPGA, I need to be able to debug its Nios II system . Does anyone know how to go about making this work? Any help or guidance would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

From your description, it seems like you would like to connect the FPGA with Quartus installed on a server remotely. You can do so, as long as the USB connected to FPGA is able to be detected in Quartus remotely. Then you can work on it.

Thank You

mjd001
Beginner

Hi YuanLi

I did make some progress in identifying the issue. The guest VDI I am developing on needs access to the client (my laptop) USB port.  This article https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_virtualization/4.1/html/virtual_machine_manage...

describes how to allow this.

The reason I ran into this problem was my company's security policy on its remote Red Hat Enterprise server which hosts the development tools. Being off-site requires special permission.

Cheers,

Michael

YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Understand. I am glad that it works now

Cheers