Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12437 Discussions

Acess data wordwise from Nios II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have a 16 bit wide Flash memory and a 32 bit wide RAM attached to the Nios II. In the evaluation kit (Altera Embedded Systems Development Kit, Cyclone III Edition) address bit 0 is omitted for the Flash memory and address bits 0 and 1 are omitted for the RAM. 

How can I make sure the data is only addressed wordwise? Or will the Nios II by default address the memory wordwise? 

Regards 

Martin
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If anybody has the same question here is the response I got from the Altera support: 

For masters, the address signal represents a byte address. The value of the address must be aligned to the data width. To write to specific bytes within a data word, the master must use the byteenable signal. For slaves, the inter-connect translates the byte address into a word address in the slave’s address space so that each slave access is for a word of data from the perspective of the slave. For example, address= 0 selects the first word of the slave and address 1 selects the second word of the slave. 

Please refer to the following user guide page 30 "Avalon MM salve addressing". 

http://www.altera.com/literature/manual/mnl_avalon_spec.pdf